600 Yards with a 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by aa1911, Oct 14, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i tend to agree
    not saying it can't be done, but i would have to see it.
    i have shot several times at a 4x4' target with my baby eagle .40 and never came close
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats about what I am thinking. The target would have to be the size of a bus for me to see it at that distance.
  3. B27

B27 New Member

OK...the target was 6 feet by 6 feet and the bull was 36".....it was a standard 600 yard highpower rifle target.

I have seen, but never shot at this target at that distance.
    It is quite easily visible.

But, even though this guy was shooting +P the trajectory was like a rainbow.
    A mortar team would come in handy.

But.....here's my big but......I would never have believed someone could hit 18 inch steel plates at 100 yards with a two inch .38 Special 6 out of 6 until I watched my buddy do it repeatedly. :)
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Just about the time you start to think you are pretty hot stuff, you read something like this - -

Humbling.
  5. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Well tried this today slightly windy used a 24 steel square hanging plate. At 400 yards I fired 10 mags got two hits three if the little rub on the right side was counted. At 600 I fired 25 mags got ONE hit upper right of the square. I did not hear the hit nor did I see the plate swing. But it had a splat on it. 1 out of 200 at 600 yards not really a stellar performance but one hit is a hit. Also have no idea if that was the first last or what shot in between. Did kick up dust in front and behind the plate though.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have never shot a 1911 (or anything else except an M1 rifle at 600 yards. But I have fired a .357 S&W Model 28 6" at 150 yards, and I do know there is no way he could have a front sight marked or notched for 600 yards. At 150 yards, I was holding the base of the front sight (where it joins the barrel rib) even with the top of the rear sight. I have no idea how much holdover I would need at 600 Yards, but it would be a lot of guess and by golly unless I had a fixed aiming point at the right distance above the target to give me a decent sight picture.

I have no doubt that a .45 pistol can shoot 600 yards and hit something. But I am highly skeptical that even on that big target it can be done with any consistency, and certainly not with ammunition that varies 150 fps in a box. Of course, I don't have one of those magic pistols.

Jim
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I was thinking axactly that Jim. I bet what they did was calculate the ballistic trajectory for the windage and elevation and put an aiming target above the actual target. That would be the ONLY way you could get the dope right with any sort of consistency. And as to the magic pistol.. I dont see the big deal. Yeah, its a good idea, but the bicycle chain link claim is bogus. Even if a factory link does flex it doesnt do it until after the bullet leaves the barrel. Which makes the 'accuracy enhancing function' of the wider link moot. All the accuracy in a 1911 is in lockup. As long as your gun locks into battery the same every time its gonna shoot straight. Its 30% bushing to slide fit, 30%barrel to bushing fit, 30% lugs and hood, and the other 10% is slide to frame. And that 100% is only half of it.. Guns dont shoot themselves.

For 165 bucks, this magical kit is definitely worth a try, but thier claims are bogus IMO..
  8. Archie

Archie Member

.45 ACP ammo with 150 f/s spread? That's pretty high. Most of my hardball equivalent loads run about 30 f/s spread.

Assuming a fairly tight velocity spread, the bullet will fall the same distance every time at any given distance. 600 yards is going to require some serious hold over, but it will be the same every time.

Bullseye type pistols are usually considered 'adequate' if they shoot groups no greater than six minutes of angle (3" at 50 yards). So at 600 yards, that's about 36 inches - oddly, the exact size of the black.

I have two 'hardball' target pistols, neither prepared - to the best of my knowledge - by Mr. Lippard. I've never shot either of them from a machine rest, but on a good day, I can run a score of 80 or so. I've hit full size silhouette targets with boring regularity at 100 yards when I was younger and shooting more often.

So I'll have to say this is possible. Which, for the tallybooks, is not an endorsement of the specially modified and precision built Lippard pistols.

I will also admit I've never fired a handgun at 600 yards. A couple of M14s, but not a handgun.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hitting a full size silhouette at 100 yards is good but not really outstanding; I have done it pretty regularly shooting DA, two hand standing with a 3" Model 36 and standard .38 Special ammo. Also, I have put every shot with that Model 28 from a rest in a group about 4" at that distance.

But the trouble is that MOA really isn't very consistent at the longer ranges, as there are just too many variables. A pistol that will shoot 2" at 25 yards won't necessarily shoot 8" at 100 yards.

When Colt was "hyping" the AR-15 and the .223 (it wasn't the 5.56 yet), they did an ad showing a GI helmet with a bullet hole in it, saying that their wonderful new rifle would penetrate a helmet at 1000 yards. When some of us questioned that, not only on power grounds, but on the fact that no one could even see a helmet at that distance, let alone hit it, Colt admitted that "we did some computer simulation" and that they actually shot the helmet at 50 feet. So much for advertising.

JIm
  10. MH2008

MH2008 Member

Looks like I really need to practice more with mine.
  11. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

MH2008 has cracked the code, practice.

That wich is difficult, has been done.
    That wich is impossible, has yet to be done........

Robert "Evel" Kneivel
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Now that's the secret! Remember that when Elmer Keith first got started with the .44 special, S&W revolver, he was shooting 500 yards, off his back porch, at an old outhouse, and making hits! His secret was that he was aiming at a bush up the hill behind his target.
  13. Petethefishman

Petethefishman New Member

I thought I was doing good at 80 yards.....
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I find this article utterly unbelievable and yet the source seems credible. It's difficult to imagine that a .45 acp round could even travel that far. Maybe 30years ago I could have calculated the max range and velocity but I've simply forgotten how to even set up the problem. There is one thing of which I'm certain; the article is in error on at least one point. At such ranges .45 cal pistols COULD NOT provide adequate covering fire. At that range the bullet would be accelerating at a not much greater rate than that of a free falling mass from it's max altitude. Wind resistance would greatly limit the velocity. I'm thinking that the round would not be even be lethal. Then again I could be full of it.:)
  15. fourniermod11

fourniermod11 New Member

Browning 9mm Hi-Power can delivery whit 500 meters Sight ... Some canadian officer use this pistol....