686 2.5" Accuracy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by firebird8073, Sep 13, 2012.

1. firebird8073

firebird8073 New Member

Hey guys, just bought a round-butt 686-3 with a 2 1/2" barrel, took it to the range and here's what has me concerned. I wanted to pick you fellows' brains on the accuracy I got with this piece and see if it's normal for a short-barreled Smith. I'm shooting .38 spec 158 gr. LRN American Eagle, revolver has a red ramp front and white outline rear, feels like a factory trigger, Hogue Bantam grips.

After dialing in the rear ramp to where I think it should be, at 7 yards, I'm getting 5 inch groups from a sandbag (single-action), offhand is no better or worse. At around 22 yards double-action, it opened up to about 8 inches with the same results offhand. Now, I've shot revolvers for years, this is my first snubby, and I'm wondering: Is this is all I should expect out of this gun?

I'm pretty sure I was doing everything right and even from the bag it was not delivering very tight groups. Maybe it doesn't like the ammo, too heavy of a bullet, any guesses? Or am I being unrealistic in wanting tighter groups?
  2. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

At 7yds, that thing should make one ragged hole in the paper with all rounds. Short barrels are the hardest to master because of the short sight radius. The closer the sights are to each other, the more amplified any imperfections become.

As long as your sights are not loose, then there is no reason that gun should not put all rounds in the same general spot at 7yds. A 686 is a superb firearm, It is my revolver of choice. You can keep your Rugers and Colts, give me a 686 any day and I will gladly step to the line with you and see whats what.:cool:
  3. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I have both a 6 inch and a 4 inch Model 686 and both are accurate. The only weak link is myself, I don't shoot as much as I used to due to time and dollars.
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

One of the down faults to short barrels can be the front sight blade on these shorties. Change it to a .100 fiber optic sight .
    Maybe like this one.-http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000D4F-1282067587

Sure helps lots of use older farts shoot better ,younger too.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would let someone else shoot the gun and see what kind of results they get. I have a ruger blackhawk 41mag I bought from a guy back in the early 80s and he couldnt hit anything with it so he sold it. I could and still can tear a target up with that gun. It ended up being my primary hog hunting gun for many years. You say this is your first snubby and I think it may be you.
  6. firebird8073

firebird8073 New Member

Well, here's an update from last night. Shot the gun again with a new box of Fed white box 130 gr. FMJ, brought the 7 yard group down to 2 inches. 25 yards - all 6 in the head of a B-27 with a 5 inch group. I'm very relieved it was the ammo. I appreciate the responses and, Double-D, for a minute I was afraid you were right! I guess now I know what not to feed this one. I'll try some 110 grain loads next time and see what happens.
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to tell you how i feel about a 686,im on my third one.i put 10,000 rounds thru them retune and sell to buy another.accuracy has been great.i had two colt pythons and my smith out shoots them both.i have even purchased a shop manual to tune them up and i have had zero failures in over 23,000 rounds. old semperfi