1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

686 5" unfluted cylinder

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Waldo Pepper, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

I have a NIB unfired 686 5" unfluted cylinder model that S&W told me they made 1400 of, but I have never seen one before and wanted it to go with my LN 610 5" that I have. Is the 686 close in value to the 610 no dash 5" or is it just like any 686 for value?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I noticed one of those the other day at a gun store, think they were asking 525 for it, dunno why they let them out with unfluted cylinder and I didit ask the guy because he had already spouted some bull about another gun I asked about. If it was me I would would prolly pay the same either way.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The unfluted cylinder would not make a difference, to me, in the purchase price, but I would probably pay a little more for the 5" barrel. I like 5" Smiths. They balance better than 4s or 6s.
  4. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Same here, I like the balance of the 5", as far as the cylinder goes the ease of cleaning unfluted cylinders makes then nice for shooters.

I have 2 357's already, and not sure I want to keep the 5" as yet. I never thought I would have one NIB unfired 357, but now I have two. One Dan Wesson and now the S&W, go figure. But then I also have an unfired Winchester 1300 Deluxe Youth model, the only reason I still have the 1300 is the most beautiful dark wood with light marble streaks that I have ever seen on any US mass production made shotgun.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

why dont you shoot it and give us a range report. it isnt worth any more than a regular one to me, actually if i was buying a gun from an individual i rather it have been his favorite shooter and to see it was well cared for than it to be NIB
  6. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Trade offer sent via pm.

By the way, was that a "Plus" (seven round) or six-shooter?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

It is a Plus model or 7 shot. That is another thing I like about this gun, with 7 holes the cylinder would be stronger unfluted. I am not sure if a flutted model is as strong as the standard 6 hole model.

One of my three 1894 Marlins, the M model 22 WMR is a fine shooter. I may put a scope on it, but I am not fond of those on 1894's and just go with a ghost ring from Skinner like I have on the '94C & 94P I have. That 16" 94P is a hoot to shoot and is probably my favorite Marlin.

[​IMG]
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Well, you got my interest up. I like 5" Smiths, as well, and I really like the unfluted cylinder - it adds weight toward the rear and helps balance the barrel, as well as providing more reinforcement for the chambers. Since it's a seven-shot model, I figure there's less webbing between the chambers, so it can use the extra metal.

So I managed to find one, and bought it NIB last week for six hundred bucks from a pawn shop called "The Exchange" in SD (WWW.ONLINEGUNDEALS.COM).

Those guns were apparently made for a distributor called Sports South LLC, and I've read that there were between five hundred and fourteen hundred made in that run in 2005. It's not the first time they've made it, there was another run made in 1998. But they are scarce, and people who have them aren't selling.
  9. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

I found out for sure from S&W that 1125 were made, all for Sports South. Called Sports South and the guy I talked to said most went over sea's and only about 500 were sold in US market. Not too sure if the guy was feeding me BS or not, sounds funny to me. I didn't know these large retailers could do that, unless they had them shipped direct from S&W to buyer or their overseas store. I do know I have never seen 5" unfluted 686, or just a 5" 686 for that matter.

Hope this new 5" 686 that S&W is making for 2010 is a fluted model like the '88 run was, it would help with value of our unfluted models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to get some good shooting grips by Pachmayr, and some wood grips also for sure.
  10. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I like the looks of it, different, and makes a good conversation piece.