7.62 X39mm Choices

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Tony Mig, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Been thinking about either the Yugo SKS's that I see advertised all over Shotgun News, or a Ruger Mini-30. So far the way I see it, the good and bad between the both are as follows....

SKS.....plus's.....good iron sights, well made, functionally reliable, and cheap to purchase.
    minus's......fixed 10 round mag, discontinued foriegn manufacture may mean that in time spare parts could be a problem....

Mini-30......plus's.......action based on the Garand is very reliable, integrated scope base on receiver, removable mags, plus the availibility of various types and size of mags.
    Minus's......iron sights sub standard, incoccistant production, and accuracy problems with many rifles.

I like buying American, but I'd have to go with an SKS before I'd go with a Mini-30.........what say the rest of ya........?
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Every single person I've talked to who bought a Mini-30 and then shot an SKS, wished that he had bought an SKS.

For the price, you can't beat the SKS. They are functional, reliable, and made to last. The Mini-30 is a waste of money IMHO.

Don't be put off by the fixed 10-round magazine. I'd take that any day over these 30-round detachables.
  3. vonotterskull

vonotterskull New Member

Hey Tony Mig, I'm going to agree with Sniper on this one. I have a Yugo SKS and it's the best purchase I've made in a long time. These guns are workhorses. Easy, cheap and a blast. I went shooting with a bail bond buddy in Florida and he had a mini-14(.223) that he has had for 5 years and never shot. :eek: Kept it under the bed. I know, what a waste of a gun. Well anyway, we went to a range in Miami and my sks had him so greeneyed it wasn't funny. His magazine kept falling out, it was a real pain to sight in, and just a uncomfortable gun to shoot and operate overall. I on the other hand was having a blast. We had some SWAT guys a few lanes down come over and see what all the hoop-la was. Got some nice comments on my Yugo. :D I really suggest SKS. For more info go to www.sksboards.com great place for SKS info.
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I had a Mini-14 years ago, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a bard with that thing. Also had an AR-15 that would knock a flea off a coke bottle at 100 yards away. I like the Garand type action of the Mini's, but they do suffer from accuray problems.

I've lurked on the SKSboards, and have been absorbing as much information as possible about these rifles. My situation as it stands is that I'll probably only buy "one" rifle that I'll be shooting for a long time. My wife and I "may" see a small financial windfall in the next couple of weeks, and it'll be the last of it's kind until I retire in 7 years or so. If this windfall pans out the way I hope, I'll be shopping for either a Springfield M1A, or an M1 Garand, if it doesn't pan out, I'll probably go for the SKS.
    The range I shoot at has organised matches for Garands and M1A's, and I'd like to get involved in them, but if the $$$ just isn't there, then I'll stick to recreational shooting of paper and bowling pins.
    The one really attractive thing about the SKS is the ammo can be had so cheap. that .308 can get a little pricey, as the .30-06 can too, but they fellas down at the range kinda turn thier nose up at someone trying to enter a Garand match with a Soviet Block firearm......
  5. rayra

rayra New Member

Either choice, unless you are like 5'2", you are going to want to re-stock the rifle as the length-of-pull of either weapon is miserably short.
    I put a ramline drop-in stock on my SKS, and it is much more enjoyable. One of these days I'll get a Hogue over-mold stock for my Mini-14.
    I'm only 6', 'normally' proportioned, and I find the hunching necessary to shoot either rifle in its stock configuration very uncomfortable.
  6. warpig

warpig Guest

I am not tall by any means (thank GOD) at 5'6" but the stock lengths on those guns are fine for me.

That would be reason enough to whip them with a Soviet Block firearms. Money and common sense be damned.
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

You'd have to be pretty darn good to bean an M1 with an SKS. I'm a huge SKS fan, but even I realize it ain't anywhere near the M1 in the accuracy department.

As for the length of pull, I'm 5'-7" and I find the SKS comfortable in its original stock.