7.62x25 tokarev

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by lpnman, Apr 11, 2006.

1. lpnman

lpnman New Member

does onyone reload for 7.62x25 tokarev? using the lee dies and a variety of .30cal. bullets, i can't get the neck crimped properly. it either winds up too crimped and pinches the neck into a bubble & won't chamber, or won't crimp the neck enough and the bullet pushes into the case under pressure. any ideas? thanks
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Ipnman:

I reload 7.62x25 for my CZ52. I use the Lee dies on my Dillon RL550B. I use Sierra #8005 85 gr round nose bullets. For powder I use Accuarte Arms #7 at 9.1 grains with Winchester Small Primers. I seat the bullets to 1.316 inches overall length. I have not had the problems you are having.

What I did find is that the original listed loads for this cartridge were too hot. After I loaded up a few Accurate Arms came out with a notice that the pressure with the original recommended loads were too high and they reduced their recommendations to the the above. This load shoots well with no signs of excessive pressure.

Cases like this caliber are to be taper crimped. If you set up the die so that you can see the taper it is probably excessive. Try re-reading the Lee instructions for taper crimping. Are you using the same bullets as me? It could be that the bullets you are using are not correct for the case. With the ones I chose and the overall length that I seat to, there are no problems. Are you seating the bullets too deeply and ending up with the crimp on the curved part of the bullet nose?

LDBennett