7.62x39 problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

My shooting buddy and I started to set up RCBS dies to load his 7.62x39 today and when it came time for the seating we ran into problems. First the die was pulling the bullets out of the cases, and holding them in the die until it was taken apart. Also when we set the depth of the bullet it will go in and the powder pushes the bullets back out. You can see grooves on the brass to indicate that is what is happening. We crimped until it was bulging the nec, and started over again. I checked the Speer and the Hodgdon specs for this load. Speer shows 27 to 29 grains of H4895. First if you load 29grs. it fills the case to the top. With 27.7 it fills to the bottom of the neck. I have tried to readjust everything and watched the RCBS DVD over and over with no luck. With all the other dies that I have set up there has been no such problems. Any info. would help, but if nothing by Monday we are calling RCBS.
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure right off hand what's causing your problem.

I can tell you that I'm using RCBS dies too, loading both Rem. and Lapua cases with 24.2 grs of H4198 (clearly below max) topped with Hornady 123gr .310 dia bullets w/o any problems.
  3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

The only thing I can tell ya is I reload 7.62 x 39 with Lee dies and their a real easy cartridge to load with them. Hopefull someone else has more RCBS experience.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RCBS dies are good but they are made by humans and could be wrongly made. Take them apart and try to figure out why the bullet sticks in the seating ram. There may be a burr on the ram or inside the die (??).

The Hodgdon web site and several of thier manuals verifies your load for H4895. Interestingly the data does not indicate it is a compressed load. Are you sure the brass you have is really 7.62 x 39 and not 7.62 x 25 (????) or some other brass. This appears to be two problems: a seating die that has a problem (or maybe you got the wrong brass???) or maybe a lot of powder marked incorrectly (highly unlikely if it was new powder that was sealed from the factory).

You need to investigate the powder, the brass, the die (is it marked 7.62 x 39???) before you go on. There is a serious problem here. My guess is the brass is wrong (???).

LDBennett
  5. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

LDBennet,
    I love it. It's almost like you appear on que. Thanks for the backup.
  6. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

LD the brass is clearly marked as well as the mini thirty that he shoots it in. The power is nearly new and has been used in other loads. I check the dies for burrs with a cotton swab as well as the seater and still nothing. I even worked a little on the seater with no help. Any time you get a load that is compressed the bullet sticks to the seater and not the die its self. Thank God this is my buddies loads and not mine cause if it was mine as little as I like the gun anyway I would have chunked all of it. LOL Thanks as usual. I am visiting grandkids now and when I get home shortly I will work on it again.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Check your bullet o.d.
    Also, check the o.d. of the neck expander on the die. Just to be sure it is the right one. If it's not it may be opening up your neck after resizing. I just checked. My Lee is .309". My Redding is .306" Both of these are 7.62 X 39 FL dies.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.aspx

Art
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'm with you Art. I think he's using .308 or .310 bullets & the expander plug is too large for them. I think Lee will send you smaller expanders for this caliber on request. Maybe RCBS will also? Sticks in the back of my mind that RCBS sends both sizes of expanders in this caliber. Could be wrong though.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It could be a defect in your die, as LD said. Call RCBS and talk with their technical staff. I had problems properly seating bullets in my 5.7X28 when I first got it. I called them and they talked me through the problem until it was working right.

They have a good warranty. I broke the pin that pushes the primer out in one of my dies. I called them to purchase a new one and they sent me five of them at no cost.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It still bothers me that the case is filling and Hodgdon says nothing about the load being a compressed load. Whose brass is it? Maybe the wall thickness is such that what in other brass might not be a compressed load is in this brass is. If that is the case you had better down load it and start at the starting load and work up. If even the starting load is a compressed load, I still think there is something wrong with the brass.

LDBennett
  11. army mp

army mp Member

It is hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it. I to am very suspicious of the compressed load. A couple other thing you may want to check. Did you clean the dies new dies are shipped with a heavy lube to prevent rust, and I would check the seating plug to make shore it is for the bullets you are loading. If its for a spiral point bullet and you are loading round nose this will pull bullets.
  12. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just some questions on the powder level.

Are you by any chance using Lee powder scoops? If yes, sure you're using the right scoop?

Or: Are you using a beam or digital type scale? If so, is it calibrated and working properly?
  13. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I am weighing each load of powder. I can get the IMR4198 to come more closely to work than the H4895. Looks like that will be the powder we use. It was using the wrong size expansion ball which should fix that part, but I am still hung up on the powder. BTW, we are loading Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have been on the road all day and hope to be rested by Friday PM and can try again. Thanks again everyone. I will keep you informed.
  14. artabr

artabr New Member

I see that y'all are loading a Nosler Ballistic Tip. I might be mistaken but I don't think Nosler makes a .310" dia. Ballistic Tip. If they do I can't find them listed anywhere. I might be wrong.
    The 7.62 X 39 cartridage takes a .310" dia. bullet not .308.
    The Ruger Mini-30 is a different story, It is bored for a .308" bullet. Why Ruger did that I don't know, other than bullet availability in the U.S.
    If you're loading for a Mini-30 or really want to use .308" dia. bullets you may want to contact RCBS for a solution.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/762r.html

http://www.reloadbench.com/store/sub_310-323cal.html

Art
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  15. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

We have tried Nosler with the 308 expander ball that comes with the dies, but not good. I tried IMR4198 with 24.0 grains with a factory bullet in .310 dia. and got it to work. I plan to load some on Saturday with speer tnt 123 gr. with the 4198, and I think I can get up to 24.5 grains and that is it. I went back tonight and rechecked everything from the Winchester brass, cci primers, case length, and can not for the life of me get and space for seating with the H4895. Thanks for all the help guys and when I shoot a few of these I will let you know how it goes. With all things good and I get any of these things loaded. LOL Got me to spend more time on loading by making a challenge.