7.62x39 sks

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by old semperfi, Jul 19, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i am debaiting purchase of one of the sks sporters that use the ak mags.i have tons of ammo and plenty of the mags.whats your thoughts old semperfi
  2. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi
    I have a little SKS carbine, it is a Chinese Norinco in standard configuration with internal mag.

I have to say for a cheap gun it is heaps of fun, I have lots of friends with them and they all say great guns for the money

Cheers

Enfield
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

Probably one of the most under-rated battle rifles of all time. Reasonably priced and a good center-fire shooting value. I own a Chinese Norinco that accepts after market high cap mags and functions flawlessly and I recently purchased a Yugo that I have kept stock. Stripper clips are a great way to load quickly with the 10 round internal mag.

I would be surprised if you regretted purchasing an SKS.
  4. Old John

Old John New Member

Ahh........a Model "D", most excellent! Much better than an AK, for my part.
    But, I'd rather use it as a Rifle than a spray & pray.
    I had one that would function very well with all sorts of surplus 30 rounders.
    And, You can pick up 5 rounders for them to make them a pretty fair hunting rifle.

They'll generally cost you much more than a regular SKS, or an AK.
    I'm always keeping my eyes open for another one, at a fair price.
    They are hard to find, though.
    Buy It! If it's in good shape and you can get it for anything like a fair price.
    Make a Nice addition to a little collection.
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

I own a couple chicom norks. Original configuration. Will do the job they were designed for, IMHO. If u can make 'em run on AK mags, then even better. I put hivis front sight post in mine, made them into descent deer rifles.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a few before the antigun nazi's came here , converted a heap to AK mag;'s too

i like em , they are a great way to send lead down range and make big holes in stuff

fun and effective ... GO FOR IT

get 2 ;)

cheers
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

AK mag conversion you say?

Where do I go to find this conversion kit?
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I do not know a commercial "kit" to do this but here is the article written on how to convert a SKS to take and use AK mag's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this helps

cheers
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have two SKS's, one that is stock, and the other with a folding stock, short barrel, and 30 rd. mag's. Both are great deer rifles. Goning back to the 10rd mag is no problem. Switch back and forth with no problems.
  10. Old John

Old John New Member

Well, the one I had was a Factory made model "D", from Norinco. It was Not a conversion. I bought it new in the box. It was built that way. There is a model "M" too that has a different stock on it, also Norinco factory made.
    Mine never had a bobble of any kind with all kinds of ammo. Originally came with a 5 round and a 30 round magazine.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  11. dge479

dge479 New Member

I also bought an SKS yugo, wanted to look into the same conv thing, no way in NJ I was told.
    Cant wait to shoot it though.