7.62x39???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LIKTOSHOOT, Nov 6, 2003.

1. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Anyone reloading this round??? Just picked up a Ruger M77 in this caliber. Perfect for the river, short barrel and action.....VERY LIGHT!! Dump the wood stock for syn, add a sling---could make a nice hog popper, small to medium anyways????

LTS
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Most of the 7.62 X 39mm available is com-bloc / mil-surp, and they're usually berdan primed and not reloadable.

That ammo is plentiful and cheap if you buy in bulk, also Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, Barnaul, and a few others offer it new, and cheaper than most others.
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

Have thousands of rounds from the com-bloc, but there are US makers too. Just wondering if anyone reloaded it, have heard it`s a pretty fair round when reloaded.

LTS
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I've always loved the 7.62x39 round Mike...And I've just about come to the conclusion that I'm not going to reload it...I always thought I'd buy some dies for it someday, and may just do that yet, but like Tony said the berdan primed stuff is so affordable, reliable, and powerfull, at this point I dont see the need. The last bunch I bought was Wolf 122 Gr. fmj for blasting and 122 Gr. Hp's for hunting at 2.29 for a box of 20, I cant spend the time reloading and beat that price...As far as power goes, you may have seen these pics, if not, just for fun, check out this penetration test I did with the above mentioned round, using a 3/8" piece of Jr Beam.
  5. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Hiya Mike. I bought a set of dies and 100 rounds of brass from Midway about 10 yrs ago. The commie/pinko ammo is so cheap I still havent used it. Have to use .311 dia. bullets cause the .308's just bounce down the barrel.

Federal reloads 7.62x39 commercial brass under its name and Golden eagle brand. I think I have seen some in remington green also.

As far as hunting ammo, Wolf makes both softpoint lead and hollow points dirt cheap in 139 gr bullets. Have seen some 120's too. I have used both Wolf & Golden eagle successfully on varmints like skunks and coons. I cant speak for hogs but the last 40 lb boar coon that tangled with my dogs cause he liked my sweetcorn got an education.

hope this helps.

swede
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Be advised that using American brands of ammo in this caliber can cause problems in an SKS. I can't comment on the Ruger M77, but the SKS has a free-floating firing pin. It is imperative to use milspec primers in this rifle, or the inertial tap from the firing pin when the bolt closes will cause a slam-fire. This is why most folks stick with military surplus or new-production milspec ammo for the SKS. The American primers are too soft and will go off.

If you don't plan to shoot any of your reloaded 7.62x39 in an SKS, then disregard my comment! :)
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

SKS......what is that?????????

LTS
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

Swede, thinking of making it a mid-range varmit.....say 300 yards. Heck whats a few extra pennies per round.

LTS
  9. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

It's a small hardstock automatic rifle that was issued in Communist countries during the 50's, 60's and early 70's. There are two general types of SKSs, Russian made and Chinese made SKSs. I sold the Chinese SKSs for $50.00 back when I was a firearm salesman 10 years ago. The Russian ones were better made and usually have a star on the top of the receiver.

You might see one in an episode of M.A.S.H. or you can see it in the movie When We Were Soldiers staring Mel Gibson. It was the rifle other than the AK-47.
  10. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

linky no worky
  11. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Silencer... methinks LTS was poking fun. :D

Wow, you must be behind the times! There are also Romanian SKS's, Albanian SKS's, Yugoslavian SKS's, East German SKS's, North Korean SKS's, Vietnamese SKS's, and even rumors of a Polish SKS.

And if I haven't said it elsewhere, welcome to TFF!
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

Chuckle-chuckle, and the ever elusive Model "D".

HAR-DY-HAR

LTS
  13. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Well, shame on me! With a name like Lick To Shoot, I should have guessed, uh?

See! Now I'm poking fun... :D

Wow, that many? I am behind the times, then. Well, I do come from California, and this model is not legal here anymore.

Thanks! :)
  14. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Actually, all the SKS models are legal in California except the detachable mag models (Chinese Model D or M).

The Yugo M59/66 must have the grenade launcher removed to be legal in California. But aside from that, they are all legal. Even with the bayonets.

Most, however, do not qualify for curio & relic status in California, even though the Federal gubberment says that they are C&R.
  15. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

hey sniper what happened to the neato spider pic?