7.62x51 in a 308

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lead, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a Wards bolt action rifle in 308. It's the old Mossberg 800 model. Can I safely shoot any milsurp ammo in it? I would probably avoid the steel case stuff, but how about brass case? I'm just showing my cheap side(which is my best side, by the way), and looking for cheap plinking ammo. I know this has come up before, but I was wondering if others have tried this and what they thought.
  2. Glocker

Glocker New Member

I wouldn't have a problem shooting milsurp 7.62 in a .308 rifle.
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I agree with avoiding the steel case ammunition, but you should experience no problems with brass case 7.62 NATO in a commercial .308 rifle.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Thanks. This rifle has rings, but no scope, and no sights. I'll have to see what he has in the way of scopes.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Unlike the 5.56 to .223 Remington issue (see post below), there's no problem firing 7.62 NATO in a commercial .308 rifle.

There can be issues going the other way.....firing .308 commercial rounds in some rifles chambered for 7.62 NATO, especially gas-operated semiautos or select fire rifles such as the M-14, H&K, or FAL.