7.62x54 head in an ak round?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jgh-2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jgh-2

jgh-2 New Member

Can u load a 7.62x54 head into a 7.62x39 for an ak and get the desired effect?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Little confused on just what you're getting at here, do you mean a round, or just the bullet? The only effect you'd get if you put a 7.62x54 into an AK chambered for 39 is a stuck/jammed/fouled up receiver.

Forgot about the other effect.......... my hand to the back of the head :D

and Welcome to TFF, you'll find alot of good info here.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the 7.62X54 WILL NOT fit into an AK, unless its an SVD which looks kinda like an AK but still isnt an AK. If by some act of a very out of spec chamber or malfunction with your weapon you did happen to get a Mosin Nagant round into the chaber of an AK and fired it youd be taking a dirt nap and your AK would prolly be destroyed.

Just outta curiosity, what is the 'desired effect'?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've seen this terminology used, on the web, many times. Always seems to be someone up in the northern part of the country that uses it.

jgh-2, it's not a "head". It's a "bullet". Not a "bullet head". Just plain "bullet". There is a head on a cartridge. It's at the other end. The part with the writing on it. That's why the writing is called a "headstamp".

So, folks, he wants to know if you can load a 7.62x54 bullet into a 7.62x39 cartridge case.
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, there is the PSL-54C, which is sometimes called a "Romanian Dragunov." It's not a true SVD clone, but it actually an AKM rechambered for 7.62x54R with a longer barrel and a Dragunov-style thumbhole stock. I've seen inside a PSL and it looks alomst identical to my WASR.

As far as loading a 7.62x54R into a 7.62x39 case, I have no idea. Aren't most 54R rounds 147gr or larger? While all the x39 rounds I've seen are around 122-125gr (I generally use 123-124gr in my WASR). So I assume that they are different bullets.
  6. jgh-2

jgh-2 New Member

thanks for clarifying the question for me alpo. my question is about loading a 7.62x54 bullet in a 7.62x39 case. i think the 54 bullet is longer therefore would need to be seated further down in the case to get the desired overall case length. was wondering if anyone tried this. I'm going to try it.
  7. jgh-2

jgh-2 New Member

the desired effect is a normal round
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thank you Alpo. I dislike the use of bullet head or head, it's the bullet, plain and simple. The assembled unit, including case, primer and propellant is called the cartridge. It's not difficult to get right.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The next question along that line is can you find reloading data for the correct powder charge to load that heavier bullet in the 7.62x39? The current Hornady manual has data for up to 150-155gr in the 7.62x39, but it's showing max velocity of only 2100-2200fps so you're looking at a very "rainbow" trajectory.

Another good question is will the heavier bullet stabilize properly?
  10. jgh-2

jgh-2 New Member

i would sacrifice the 200fps to have cheap "bullets" I could reload for plinking with my ak. 7.62x39 isnt cheap anymore. I would start with the powder recommendation for the 154 grain "bullet" and work it out from there.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have some Wolf x39 loaded with 154 soft points. So I presume the data for that size is around somewhere. But, according to Wiki, x54 was loaded with bullets ranging from 148 to 203 grains. Using bullets in the 190 to 200 grain weight range will require you to seat them deeper to make them fit. This will reduce powder capacity greatly. Reduced powder capacity along with heavier bullet should make for much slower round.

If you have a barrel, with a twist designed to stabilize a 123 grain bullet at 2400 fps, and you are shooting a much longer, heavier bullet at, oh I don't know, 1900 fps maybe, it does not seem like the bullet would stabilize.

You should be able to load the bullet. Chambering it should work. Ought to go "Bang". Bullet should go down range. Accuracy, however, seems like it would suck.

So, I think that if you have access to x54 bullets in around 150 to 160 grains weight, then you should be able to do what you want. Much heavier than that, though, and I think accuracy would go to hell.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

By the way. Was I right about you being up north?
  13. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, I learned something. I've never seen a x39 round that heavy. :eek:
  14. jgh-2

jgh-2 New Member

Thanks alpo. and yes i reside in the republic of new jersey. The bullets are 147grain so i should be ok. i have a 54 180 grain in front of me and it is quite longer than a 39. hopefully the 147 grain arent as long. im gona order a small batch of them and try em out with some different loads. Theyre pretty cheap and i have all other components so if they work that will be great. Thanks again
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ok i think im passed the confusion... The FACTORY 7.62X39 bullets and 7.62X54R bullets are indeed both .310" diameter. Theoretcally, if you had access to data, you could load the heavier bullets into the smaller cartridge. However, I would think you would have a cartridge OAL problem and wouldnt be able to seat them to magazine length. It may be in the best interest of your patience and your time to stick with intended bullet weights for the cartridge you are loading...

Am I on track now? ;)