7.62x54R vs 1" steel

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Grizz, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Grizz

Grizz Member

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Grizz!
    I would have thought that the 54R with the FMJ would have at least
    made some sign of extrusion on 1" steel @ 100 yards.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youd be surpised Dale. I have a 7/8ths plate at 200 and a 1 1/4 plate at 250 and .308 Steel Core penetrator only slightly crater either of them. they are old Oilfield gate valve plates with an RC hardness of about 150.
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Nice!

Just a suggestion, next time have something else in the frame to have a reference to size. I always use my fingers.

Cool video though!
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'd of never of imagined that!
    (gotta get me some steel) :D
    Actually, of all the lead Ive put through rifle barrels, Ive never shot
    any steel plates/targets! .22's yep, but Ive been missing out! :eek:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is fun.
  7. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Here's some Mosin surplus ammo action on a 1/4" steel plate, an extra from some .22 swinging targets I made for a buddy.

[​IMG]
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

awesome vid. I wonder if it would have done more penetration had the plate been backed up in a frame of sorts?
  9. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Yeah I think results depend on how secure the plate is, and its' size. Like, imagine cardboard, firmly attached to a window frame, you'd be able to punch through it. Then the same size cardboard just standing up... can't punch through it.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I've been shooting at steel for nearly 30 years. The effect is very dependent on the steel used. Mild steel is no contest for a bullet from a caliber like a 30-06 or 308 at 100 yds but change the steel to armor plate and it is an entirely different story.

We just bought and shot at a 12 inch armor steel plate (about 5/8 inches thick?) with 8mm, 30-06, and 308 all day. Except for a couple of edge hits the surface is not even dimpled. By comparison the time before we shot at a 1 1/2 inch thick mild steel plate and every square inch of the plate is erupted like a volcano (worse than the video example).

There is steel then there is STEEL. I'll not buy anymore mild steel targets for high power shooting. We found the source of armor plate targets and that is the guy we'll use from now on. We need another 12 incher and stand and we need an 18 incher and more stable stand with the target hanging from chains or rope to use at distances greater than 500 yds for our 50 BMG (actually 50DTC) gun. We're talking to the guy right now. But these target are not cheap.

LDBennett
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Exactly, LD. Not all steel is the same. There is what is called ballistic steel that is used for armor and targets. We got into that issue with some things here at the plant. Some metal couldnt be certified that is was ballistic and what it was capable of withstanding. We did our own tests and the rifles blazed through some untested stuff, so now it all gets sent off to a UL lab to be certified to withstand a certain amount. More than likely, the metal you will get from a scrap yard or general metal dealer is not gonna be up to snuff for high caliber shooting. There is quite a bit of variation in the differant types of metals.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Neat video. I started hanging mild 1/4" steel at the range and it is fine for the handguns but any center fire rifle will blow right through. Switched to 3/8" and same thing. Been adding Arnsten armor 500 Brinell which is fine at 100 yards with center fire rigle but as you all have said it is pricey but buy it once and be done. Have had Zombies sneak in at times and shoot the steel with a 30.06. It blew right through the 3/8 armor I left hanging at 50' and went right through the 3/8" mild steel I leave out at 50, 75, & 100 yards. I now put most of the good armor plate away when I leave. I just got four more 8" armor plate round disks to add to the 50' pistol range. I really enjoy shooting the steel plates and hopefully this summer I can improve my ability to shoot them better. The "ding" when you hit the steel is so pleasing. I hang them from a shepherd's hook reinforced with a steel fence post driven into the ground, seems to work pretty good. Now if I just had someone to tote that steel around, ha.
  13. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Yep, if I shoot my regular mild steel target with the 30-06 at 200 yards or less, I damage them. That is why I have a bunch of small targets now.
    30-06 Oops

But I have targets made of leaf springs that a 30-06 cannot damage a any distance.
    Eddystone 100 Yards
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thats why the round has been around for 100+ years....good stuff.
  15. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

Sweet...

This week I purchased (2) Mosin's from Big 5 on sale, $109. I'm still in the 10 day waiting atm.

I think I got lucky in dang near searching every store in a 100 mile radius to found my 2. Both Ex-dragoon's, both Izhevsk, dated 1925 & 1926, pre-war stocks. They are both a little rough but hex receivers at this price in Cali seems fair.

These are little love projects with my two sons.
  16. Grizz

Grizz Member

sounds like you got a good deal!
  17. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

Yeah it was fun just searching out the Hex receivers, big 5 doesn't get many in anymore, so they say?

The 2nd one I got was the 1926 and my oldest son was with me. We noticed a 1 1/2 inch. sq. buttstock repair on the original stock. The serials were all matching expect the buttstock on this model. I told my son that was what made the gun collectably cool, some ruskie broke down a door with the butt and bent the butt plate chipping out a chunk of wood before bayoneting the poor German inside...heh heh
  18. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

LOL yep that is a collectible rifle then
  19. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

We both giggle but the Mosin Nagant 91/30 basically won WW2. It was a weapon designed to hand to a commoner to protect his country. It is deadly at BOTH ends of the weapon. The battle of Stalingrad was door to door, brutal fighting. The Germans were ill prepared for such combat and thus the Mosin butt killed a hellofalot of soldiers.

With tens of millions made, I pleasure in grabbing one with potential history.
    But thats just me.

See I just talked myself into never selling it for less than say $149..lol
  20. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Nice vids by all and great commentary! Thanks, A.L.