7.62x54R

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun-nut, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have reloaded for 12 years. I have had a set of lee dies for the 54R for 6 years and i now have got a few rds of brass to load. What are some of the recipies that you guys have used? I will be loading these for my FPK.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Wish I had an FPK:(

I have a finn M39, one of my favorite loads is 45.5 gr VARGET under a sierra 174 HPBT matchking, its more accurate than I am with the tandem target apertures on the finn...
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

lol Ya the FPK is a sweeeet toy! I have a Finn 39 and a 91/30 as well. I dont shoot the Finn 39 much. She is in 95% condition. The 91/30 sees more time on the range,but not as much as the FPK.:D At 250 yards i have kissed a swinging steel target 9 out of 10 shots. the steel plat was the size of a small woodchuck. I impressed a few old men that were running there mouths about it and said that the gun was a worthless POS. Needless to say they shut up and left.:p
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My finn is 95 or better and i shoot the hell out of it. Mostly cast loads with 200 gr gascheck bullets over IMR4198, the sierra MK load is one of the only jacketed loads i shoot, if I cradle this rifle in a lead sled and take my time itll put all 5 in a 1 inch hole at 100 with the MK handloads, the cast loads are a ton slower and group at about an inch and 7/8 in the same rest, i plink with them...
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have a set of lee molds for the 7.62 cal. but still have yet to get the gas checks. I have got all that imfo wrote down. i went to the loading cabinet and i have the Sierra MK 174 gr hpbt. And i found about 3/4 lb. of varget way in the back. (the 223 did not like that powder. it likes the IMR 4198) Thanks for the help! When winter gives up and spring comes around i will have to try it out. ;)
  6. dmh

dmh New Member

lately i've been shooting 47gr of varget behind a 148gr pulled surplus bullet out of a real barker of a izzy m38. going to look to start casting for the mosins soon. brass is about shot too :(
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Dont put that 38 in a polyfiber stock!!! It will kiss you like a mule. lol!! the only brass that i see is from Norma.:eek: Ouch. prices is high. Winchester is not going to make the brass at this point for the reloaders, but sells it for shooting at this point. i do hope to see winchester sell it latter down the road as a component. The reloadable that i have is S&B. I am not shure if rem. is making it or not
  8. dmh

dmh New Member

haha, I know right! It's in a pretty nice looking laminated stock from a M44. Shooting 180+ grain PPU through it was quite an impressive kick.

looking at midway, i would guess winchester is probably the cheapest source of brass. I bought some boxer primed PPU at a gun show and have been reloading that. The neck has a ridge near the shoulder on it tho because I think I had my sizing die set wrong the first time I reloaded them a while back. Norma brass is soooo expensive I dont feel so bad about buying loaded ammo when it's still a better price point!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I been thinkin about ordering me some lapua or norma brass for my finn, Im using winchester now, its good stuff but the primer pockets seem a little shallow, Heck i just spent 200 bucks a couple days ago on another lot of SMK bullets for it, i might as well bite the bullet and order some kickass brass too.;) got lots of varget, bout 3 or 4 pounds yet.
  10. dmh

dmh New Member

I wanna find an IMR 8208 XBR load, love this stuff. Cheaper then varget here too oddly
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I bought winchesters metric loads ammo, fired them and retrieved the brass. it was still cheaper then buying norma and the brass worked fine.
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

lol! i have 1 box. I still have not got to shoot it yet. I bought it way before all the crap it the fan. $ 12.99 Remember them days. :D
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats how I obtained my win brass
  14. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter New Member

Aim Surplus sometimes will sell the 7.62x54r Prvi Partizan boxer primed brass.

Bought a couple hundred rounds of the stuff for reloading way back when.

It's good brass too.