1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

7.62x54R

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun-nut, Jan 18, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have reloaded for 12 years. I have had a set of lee dies for the 54R for 6 years and i now have got a few rds of brass to load. What are some of the recipies that you guys have used? I will be loading these for my FPK.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Wish I had an FPK:(

I have a finn M39, one of my favorite loads is 45.5 gr VARGET under a sierra 174 HPBT matchking, its more accurate than I am with the tandem target apertures on the finn...
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

lol Ya the FPK is a sweeeet toy! I have a Finn 39 and a 91/30 as well. I dont shoot the Finn 39 much. She is in 95% condition. The 91/30 sees more time on the range,but not as much as the FPK.:D At 250 yards i have kissed a swinging steel target 9 out of 10 shots. the steel plat was the size of a small woodchuck. I impressed a few old men that were running there mouths about it and said that the gun was a worthless POS. Needless to say they shut up and left.:p
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My finn is 95 or better and i shoot the hell out of it. Mostly cast loads with 200 gr gascheck bullets over IMR4198, the sierra MK load is one of the only jacketed loads i shoot, if I cradle this rifle in a lead sled and take my time itll put all 5 in a 1 inch hole at 100 with the MK handloads, the cast loads are a ton slower and group at about an inch and 7/8 in the same rest, i plink with them...
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have a set of lee molds for the 7.62 cal. but still have yet to get the gas checks. I have got all that imfo wrote down. i went to the loading cabinet and i have the Sierra MK 174 gr hpbt. And i found about 3/4 lb. of varget way in the back. (the 223 did not like that powder. it likes the IMR 4198) Thanks for the help! When winter gives up and spring comes around i will have to try it out. ;)
  6. dmh

dmh New Member

lately i've been shooting 47gr of varget behind a 148gr pulled surplus bullet out of a real barker of a izzy m38. going to look to start casting for the mosins soon. brass is about shot too :(
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Dont put that 38 in a polyfiber stock!!! It will kiss you like a mule. lol!! the only brass that i see is from Norma.:eek: Ouch. prices is high. Winchester is not going to make the brass at this point for the reloaders, but sells it for shooting at this point. i do hope to see winchester sell it latter down the road as a component. The reloadable that i have is S&B. I am not shure if rem. is making it or not
  8. dmh

dmh New Member

haha, I know right! It's in a pretty nice looking laminated stock from a M44. Shooting 180+ grain PPU through it was quite an impressive kick.

looking at midway, i would guess winchester is probably the cheapest source of brass. I bought some boxer primed PPU at a gun show and have been reloading that. The neck has a ridge near the shoulder on it tho because I think I had my sizing die set wrong the first time I reloaded them a while back. Norma brass is soooo expensive I dont feel so bad about buying loaded ammo when it's still a better price point!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I been thinkin about ordering me some lapua or norma brass for my finn, Im using winchester now, its good stuff but the primer pockets seem a little shallow, Heck i just spent 200 bucks a couple days ago on another lot of SMK bullets for it, i might as well bite the bullet and order some kickass brass too.;) got lots of varget, bout 3 or 4 pounds yet.
  10. dmh

dmh New Member

I wanna find an IMR 8208 XBR load, love this stuff. Cheaper then varget here too oddly
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I bought winchesters metric loads ammo, fired them and retrieved the brass. it was still cheaper then buying norma and the brass worked fine.
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

lol! i have 1 box. I still have not got to shoot it yet. I bought it way before all the crap it the fan. $ 12.99 Remember them days. :D
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats how I obtained my win brass
  14. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter New Member

Aim Surplus sometimes will sell the 7.62x54r Prvi Partizan boxer primed brass.

Bought a couple hundred rounds of the stuff for reloading way back when.

It's good brass too.