The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

7.65 French Long loading data needed

16K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Just picked up my second MAS 1935A. Need loading data for 71 and 85-86 grain FMJ bullets. Anyone else reload for this cartridge?

#2 ·
I have data for a 77 grain cast bullet, an 86 grain "7.63 Mauser" bullet (I presume that would be FMJ), and the Speer 100 grain "Plinker". Any of them do you any good? All three using either bullseye or unique.

#4 ·
This is from Cartridges of the World, 2nd Edition.

It's listed as the 7.65 MAS (French). Does not say anything about "long". These are the loads listed. All should be considered "Max" loads, and you should do the "drop it 10% for a start load and work up" thing.

77 grain cast RN bullet, 3.6 of Unique, 1100 fps, 206 foot pounds
86 grain "Mauser" bullet, 2.3 of Bullseye, 1000 fps, 190 foot pounds
100 grain Speer "plinker", 3.1 of Unique, 1030 fps, 235 foot pounds
Factory load, 85 grain, 1120 fps, 240 foot pounds

#5 ·
Thanks, Alpo! This give me a great place to start. Dies, brass and bullets due in a few days. Sure miss the old days when you could buy reliable surplus ammo cheap. I reload a bunch for lots of calibers - including U.S. military duplication loads for 7.62 NATO and M-118, M-73, .30M1 and .30M2, .30 Carbine and .30-40 Krag and .45-70 loads. Also some other military pistol loads like the .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Been doing this since 1971. Still use the same tools I originally bought back then (RCBS).

#6 ·
I have loaded several 7.65 French Long rounds with Unique powder and 86 grain .308 diameter jacketed round nose bullets. As very little data is available, here is what I have found to work in my pistol. I do not have a chronograph so these rounds were fired for function and reasonable accuracy:
3.1 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr Sierra, weak, would not cycle 1935A slide
3.5 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mild, good function, 2" @ 15' group
3.6 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mild, 2" @ 15' group
3.7 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mid-range, 2" group @ 15'
3.5 grs Unique, SP Mag primer, 86 gr JRN, mild to mid load, 2" @ 15' group

These loads functioned as noted in MY pistol, and are presented for information ONLY. I do do have a labratory to test the safety of these loads so I do not recommend that anyone use this data. As few others have made data available, this is only presented as information. My pistol and cases showed no visable signs of high pressure, but caution is always advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.