7.65 german pistol

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by JFBIGUNS, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SSMN

SSMN Member

Re: Browning

Kidding aside, here is one more photo that might be a little better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Steve,
    Indeed, you must have a million dollar gun.

Olson's Encyclopedia of Small Arms states:
    Cast off - a term applied to the shape of shotgun stocks. It is a slight offset of the butt to the right of the center line of the gun to accommodate a right handed shooter.

Note that no mention of a bent action is made, only the stock. Also see the clip below taken from a Field and Stream magazine. Same story.

In any case your gun sure seems to be cast-off. I have a similar Browning in 20 ga with a netural cast. I may have the stock bent; or perhaps trade it for a Beretta.

Greg

Attached Files:

3. SSMN

SSMN Member

Greg,
    You can have this ultr-rare gun for a mere $1,200. Then you can resell for a million. I'm not greedy. I am in SW Florida. Name the place. (Lakeland Gun Show?)
    David
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have never seen it mentioned anywhere, but shotguns with a top tang often do have the tang bent to accommodate a cast off/on stock, and both the guns in the drawings show that.

The reason is that to feel right, the cast has to start with the grip area, by inletting the stock "crooked" at the receiver. If the tang is straight then it is not centered in the grip and the gun looks quite odd.

(Now, howinheck did we get from a German pocket pistol to shotgun stock cast-off????)

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Jim, Point well made.

David, I would be happy to meet with you some day, but not for the purpose of investing in another Browning. Say hi to all my buddies down south (I once lived in Tamarac, FL) and thank you for the lively discussion.
  6. SSMN

SSMN Member

Jim,
    First let me apologize for participating in the highjacking/change in direction of this thread.

In regards to the alignment of stock and tang, the photos and my close observation of the Browning show that the stock is straight, the inlet for the tang is also straight and centered and the cast does not begin until well in front of the tang. Somewhere in the receiver. If the pics are not clear and I know it is hard to get it all into focus, I will take more outside.
    David
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Where abouts in SW Fla? Cape Cardiac, Ft. Misery, Wrinkle City (Lehigh)??
    Sorry for thread drift.:eek:
  8. SSMN

SSMN Member

About as far South as you can go on the left coast.
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Ok. Naples or Marco.