The Firearms Forum banner

7.65mm french long

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jim brady 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for loads for 7.65mm french long?

#2 · (Edited)
Doesn't seem there are many who load for this - I do. I worked up this load with a chronograph and watched for excessive pressure signs, but I am not a laboratory and cannot guarantee the results you might get.

Started with .32 ACP dies, a special RCBS shellholder and brass from Buffalo Arms that was re-formed from .32 Smith&Wesson Long. My goal was to reproduce the factory military 86 grain FMJ load (1200 FPS). (I later bought 500 .32 S&W Long brass cases and converted them myself to 7.65.

I used Unique powder because of it's versatility. 86 grain FMJ bullets are not to be had anywhere (.3085 diameter). I selected 93 grain FMJ bullets from the .30 Luger. Started at 3.0 grains, and that load was VERY mild. As I recall, it gave about 900 FPS. Went on to 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 grains. I settled on 3.5 grains that gave close to factory. I averaged about 1160 PFS with that load. The 3.6 and 3.7 loads were closer, but velocity was erratic, and 3.7 seemed to be a maximum charge. Tried the 86 grain Sierra soft point bullet, and got very similar results, but I buy bullets in bulk and the Sierra's were pricey. Besides, the soft point is a better defensive bullet, but I just use the 7.65 for paper targets these days.

In my humble opinion, there is no comparison between the .32 ACP and the 7.65 French. Some may argue the point, but they are definately NOT interchangeable. The 32 ACP - if memory serves - is about .311 diameter and the case rim is a little smaller, as well as the case length. I understand that there are people who fire the .32 ACP out of the French guns, but personally I wouldn't do it. Good luck and post your results if you try to reload this round!

#4 · (Edited)
Converting .32 S&W Long cases is harder to describe than to do. First I used a Lyman case trimmer to trim to length. I used a drill press to hold the cases, and just used a short hacksaw blade to remove the rim and cut a new extractor groove. I used a dial caliper to duplicate the dimensions from an original 7.65 case. After the cases were cut to length and an extractor rim milled, I sized them in a .32ACP reloading die with the special RCBS shell holder. It took me about a week to do 500 Starline cases this way.

All of this would have been MUCH easier and faster with a small metal lathe. I didn't have one of these at the time. Buffalo Arms sells ready-to-load cases for a fair price. 500 caes should last me a lifetime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.