7.65x53 rifles

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Lee C., Apr 12, 2010.

1. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

My son bought a 7.65x53 1891 Argentine mauser bolt action rifle this last week end at the gun show. I've been on the compture looking for any info i can fine on it for reloading. But not doing to good so fare. Dose any one know where to look for a reloading book of some kind for it. Or dose any one have one and is reloading for it. Thanks for any help any one can give me.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The ol' argentine mauser... There are some good load tables for it listed in Lymans 48th and 49th. youll find it smack between the 7.62X54R and the .303 brit. Ballistics are on par with light .308 loads...
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

the new hornady book has data for it.
  5. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Thanks guys for all the help, I found some info on the places you said to look Alpo. And i'll get ahold of the other books and look at them also. Thanks agine guys.
  6. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Remember to watch your pressures, the 1891 didn't have a pressure release port hole drilled.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Besides the online sources that Alpo listed, also check the Hodgdon's Powder Online Manual.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    In the manuals that I've got on hand...Hornady, Sierra, and Lyman all have data for the 7.65x53. It's roughly equivalent to the .303Brit in velocity and power (and like mild .308 loads like JLA posted).

Also heed warriflefans's warning about not loading too heavy for a '91 Mauser.
    A pierced primer in a '91 action will vent the gas straight back through the bolt and you'll get peppered in the face. I always stuck with loads at least 100fps below the listed maximuns just for an extra safety margin.

If the rifle has a good clean bore and still groups accurately, it'll make a fine deer rifle.
    I had better luck with 174gr RN bullets rather than 150gr SPs in the couple '91s that I've had in the past...the '91 has a 1-10" twist and a fairly long leade (distance from the case mouth to the beginning of the rifling).
    I've still got an '09 Argentine that shoots better with 150gr...but as rough and pitted as the bore is I'm surprised it groups at all. I had always intended to use it for a rebarrel project but haven't got to that yet.
  8. N99780

N99780 New Member

All good info. I also use The Hornady and Lyman books. 48-50 gr of IMR 4350 is excellent on Whitetails in my 1909 Argentine. Heed the precautions about shooting the 1891 and similar action'd rifles, keep your pressure and velocity a bit lower, just adjust your sights and "Hold-over" to compensate for bullet drop if you are using the supplied open sights. I've also used the Hornady 150g factory ammo and some of the Privi Partisan 180g ammo (at about half the price). The Hornady ammo is one of the very few that is loaded with 150g bullets, but it's packed in PPU (Prvi) cases, So I'm guessing it's a proprietary load made just for Hornady. The 1909 action can take just about anything you care to load, within reason and good sense. I bagged an 8 pt just this past weekend with mine.. For reloading, search for Hornady #3120, .312 dia, 150 gr. Also Sierra also makes .311 dia. bullets in 125, 150 and 180 grain projectiles. Consult the above mentioned publications for loading data, but generally speaking (very generally) the lighter the bullet, the faster the powder you can utilize without running into pressure issues. I wouldn't hesitate at all to take this one on any hunt here in Texas. Mine groups right at 1 inch with the occasional flyer, but that's probably ME, not any fault of the rifle. This round is as good as any to learn about reloading, if you're not already doing so. Resized 30-06 brass, trimmed, works very well.