7 x 57 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by twigbender, Dec 23, 2011.

1. twigbender

twigbender New Member

I just bought 100 rounds of 7 x 57 at an auction for little or nothing. They are good clean, unfired rounds. They are all fmj bullets and the headstamp reads: "PS" at the top and "1943" at the bottom. My question is, should I fire these rounds or just pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload them? I'll use them in a Ruger No. 1.
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I think that to make the best decision, you need to know if 1) these rounds have corrosive primers, and 2) if they are Berdan primed. Both of these things were common in WWII-era military ammunition.

A lot of people regard corrosive ammo as no big deal, if you know how to clean the gun properly. However, many people prefer not to mess with it. And as I understand it, not many people reload Berdan brass, so if that's what it is, you will have to use the original primers to get any use out of it at all.

I don't know enough about cartridge headstamps to tell you either of these things about your rounds, but someone here probably does. Good luck! (BTW, I think a Ruger single shot in 7mm Mauser would be an extremely nice rifle to hunt whitetails with.)
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I had a Ruger Model 77 in 7x57mm since 1978 that I used for deer. very good cartridge!
    My rifle liked the remington cor lokt 140 grainers
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Shoot one and look into the case with a light. if there are 2 flashholes then just shoot them and scrap the brass, who cares if they are corrosive, just clean the bore afterwards with windex to neutralize the salts and then as normal with solvents and oil.

The 7X57 is a ballistically wonderful round. perfect balance of power, range and recoil. Not many cartridges fill that bill IMO.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Agree 100% Its a good round!! I have 3 7mm. 2 are sported and a Brazialian thats still full military. There are a nice range of bullets and powders to use to reload with. The military surpluss is hard to find ,but plenty of new manufactured brass and full loaded ammo out there. I cant say one bad thing about the 7mm. I have taken a deer as well with the one,and it hit its mark at 200 yards and she fell like a rock.:D
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

7. twigbender

twigbender New Member

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!!