7 x 57 Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Makadoppi, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Makadoppi

Makadoppi New Member

I am trying to find out what this rifle will be worth - I have been told through the generations that this rifle belonged to my great grandfather and was used in the second Boer War - it was greased up, covered and buried - been passed down until it is now in my possession

Been told that it is also called a Mannlicher

Would anyone know what this piece would be worth.

Attached Files:

2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

Your rifle looks like a Steyr-Mannlicher 1904 Exportmodell Sporting Rifle, IMHO.

Mannlicher invented the action (only). Later on, Schoenauer invented the rotary mag for Mannlicher's action, thereby creating the more famous Mannlicher-Schoenauer (M-S).

Sporting rifle's are what they are - rare - so I couldn't put a price on yours, though it appears to be in excellent condition.
    Most folks desiring them, though, don't care for that type magazine, needing stripper clips.
    The caliber (7x57) is a real plus.

3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

$200 - $400

What you would have to find is someone that was willing to buy it.

Military rifles converted into sporting rifles were once a common sight, but now are not worth the bother. It takes a machinist many hours to make a Civilian rifle out of a Military rifle and you can go out and BUY a new rifle at Wal Mart that will shoot better and be worth more money down the road for less money then what it would cost to make your own.
  4. spud

spud New Member

That gun is not and never was a military rifle --$1500 to $2400
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

and once again the rifleman shows his wisdom or lack there of. provides wrong and useless information perhaps he's from washington dc.
  6. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

It's an interesting gun, that's for sure. I don't know the model but it has the look and action of a Mannlicher, but without the rotary magazine as PetahW correctly indicated. I can't find anything quite like it in my books.

Note what appears to be a "spring pin" in the forestock just below the rear sight. This is typical of a Mannlicher that is a take-down model. I know the procedure to take-down a M-S with rotary mag, but can't help you with this gun (though it wouldn't be too hard to figure out). Also, the slings, on the take-down models I have seen, are attached to the bottom of the forestock, not the barrel as shown above.

Anyway, I'll buy all of them I can find at $400. I suggest the value is around two grand. Double that if it's a Oberndof Mauser Mannlicher, which is a strong possibility. Need to know the markings on the gun to tell for certain.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. Makadoppi

Makadoppi New Member

I am not sure what happened with the magazine - Musgrave in South Africa had it - it is now fitted with a plate - I am waiting for photo's with markings and insignia to be send to me and will post it here as soon as possible
  8. BPMike

BPMike New Member

Unless I'm mistaken that's a Mauser M88 action.

BPMike
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

What is the date stamped on the left side of the reciever?

It does indeed look like a 1904 Exportmodell. If I remember right, that model would have either of two clip systems.
    One style (if the floorplate is solid with no hole in the bottom for the empty clip to drop out) would use regular Mauser-style 5-round stripper clips. This one should have a slot in the top of the reciever bridge for the stripper clip to slide into while loading. I believe this style can also have the rounds single-loaded from the top without using a stripper clip...I'm not positive though.
    The other style (if the magazine floorplate does have a hole to let the empty clip drop) would use an enbloc style clip much like the 1888 Mauser, 1891 Mauser, 1895 Steyr-Mannlicher, or any of several other Steyr-style magazine rifles such as the Italian Carcano.

There might be other magazine options for the rifle too...those two are the only ones that I'm aware of for the early (pre-Schoenauer magazine) Mannlicher rifles.

I can't give a positive value either, $1000-1500 would be a good "low" value...but given the excellent shape that it looks like from your pics, probably even higher than that.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Dang! With that rib on the bottom of the magazine housing you might be right. The rest of the receiver profile looks an awful lot like an '88 too...albeit with the rear receiver bridge having a little metal rework (stripper clip slot removed?)

Sporterized '88? maybe...
  11. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Just a thought,

I think the wood has be refinished at some point in it's history. Notice the black line in the crease behind the checkering on the grip, just above and behind the ball pistol grip cap. Old finish that was not completely removed when it was refinished? Also the checkering if you look close has a few lines towards the top that show a checkering tool not being quite on the row, having checkered a fair bit myself, I have done this myself cleaning out an old shallow patttern. The side panels on each side of the action are not as crisp as many I have seen with this feature, suggesting to me that it has been sanded along the edges. Still a very interesting old rifle, a treasure to be sure. I don't think this one has been sporterized, to me it has the metal work and the double set triggers of a sporting rifle. Also notice the octagonal barrel, another sporting rifle feature. A very interesting and very old sporting rifle...... Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  12. BPMike

BPMike New Member

There were some very nice M88 sporters by W. Forester, Berlin among others. The action appears to be, as Bindernut stated, an M88 with stripper clip slot removed. Without ALL markings on the piece it will be hard to tell.

BPMike
  13. Boertjie

Boertjie New Member

Ek is baie geinteresseerd in jou geweer. Wil jy dit graag verkoop?
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Mense sal meer aandag gee as wat jy geskryf het in Engels.
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Afrikaans-English online translation:

I am very interested in your gun. Would you like to sell?

[I also note the original post was in 2009]
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  16. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is not a Mannlicher, it is a sporter (or sporterized) version of the German Gew. 1888 Commision Rifle. The Commission rifle was made only by or for the German military, but commercial copies were made in Germany in both 8x57J and 7x57. If that one started out as a military rifle, it has been heavily altered. The barrel has been replaced, the bolt handle altered, a set trigger installed, and a rather nice sporter stock put on. Whether the magazine has been altered to eliminate the need for the en-block clip, I can't tell from the pictures, but it does not appear so.

Would a military Gew 88 be available for sporterinzing in the Second Boer War period (1899-1902)? I don't know; I would have thought the Germans would be keeping them in the war reserve at that point. Maybe someone else can comment. But a commercially made sporter copy (which would look pretty much like that) would have been available and would have been a formidable weapon.

Jim