74-Year-Old Policeman Nears Retirement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raven818, Jun 27, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Published: June 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

SEATTLE, June 27 (UPI) -- A 74-year-old man said he is preparing to retire as a patrol officer with the Seattle Police Department after nearly 50 years on the job.

Sgt. Maj. Arnold McGinnis, who joined the department at the age of 25 in 1962, said he has repeatedly refused detective positions because he doesn't "like being tied to a desk" and he will retire next month at the age of 75, the Seattle Post Intelligencer reported Wednesday.

Department officials said they were unaware of anyone serving longer than McGinnis.

"He's fit as a fiddle, spit-shined shoes and always works hard," Capt. Neil Low said. "I'd tell young officers, 'You should look so good now, let alone with 35 to 40 years on. I still think he's what young officers should model themselves after."

McGinnis had a role in the 1974 movie "McQ," which starred John Wayne as a Seattle police officer. McGinnis, who played a character who was knocked unconscious by the villains, described Wayne as a "down to early, friendly man."

McGinnis was promoted to sergeant major last month -- a rank officials said he is the first in the department's history to hold.

"I'm really honored to have something like this stuck on me," he said. "They can't give you any more money, but what the heck -- money isn't everything."

http://tinyurl.com/6pz6b3p
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

what's the worst crime a Seattle cop has to deal with? some techie spilled his coffee on a competitor's laptop?

ok, cruel sarcasm is shut off now.

I applaud him for staying with a job for so long. nowadays isn't it like 3 or 5 years is normal?
  4. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

Here' wishing him a long, healthy, happy retirement.
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

We are criminal friendly out here. Gang violence is skyrocketing. It is really hard to execute the law when you consider both the attacked and attacker as victims :confused:. Though a lot of this has to do with de-policing since morale is so low no one does anything anymore.