1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

7mm-06 ackley imp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

whoabill
    (2/7/03 9:56:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 7mm-06 ackley imp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey gentleman,

i am looking for info regarding what it takes to reload a 7mm-06 ackley imp. i found a great deal on this wildcat, and wanted to know how easy it was to create.

thanks
    whoabill

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/7/03 10:57:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 7mm-06 ackley imp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would think this is fairly simple. You take 30-06 brass and neck down to 7mm in a ful length sizing die. Then fire the round in the Ackley chamber to fireform the 40 degree shoulder. After that, reload using the AI dies, either full length or neck sizing. I have a .257 Ackley Improved. I fire .257 Roberts rounds and fire form to .257 AI. I then use a Redding neck sizer only. This keeps from working the brass too much and since I only have one of these, it is not important to worry about chambering in another rifle. Good luck and happy shooting.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

scarface
    (2/14/03 9:25:42 pm)
    P.O.Ackley wrote a 2 volume set of books "Handbook For Shooters And Reloaders",I think thats the correct title, loaned mine out and have not seen it in a year.I'm sure Brownell's carries it. Becareful and do alittle cross referencing, P.O. loaded HOT sometimes and there were a few loads that had to be typo's. I've never messed with his 7/06, but have built quite a few guns based on the other Ackleys. I'm sure you'll be right there with the 7 mag, might lose alittle with the heavier bullets,but remember P.O. was all about hydrostatic shock[velocity vs.nervous system],and I'm a believer. If you haven't read his books,wait till you hear what he did with a mule,army helmet,and a .220 swift.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/03 11:45:27 pm)
    Inplantox has given you the correct method of creating the necessary brass for this cartridge.

I'm a little mystified why you are choosing this particular cartridge, as according to the P.O. Ackley Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders (Volume 1), there's only a very tiny bit of difference between the exterior ballistics of this cartridge and the standard .280 Remington (7mm Rem. Express). If you were to go to the .280 Rem Ack Imp there is a marginal gain in velocities over either of the other two. All this is to be considered with the understanding that a lot of the slow burning powders of today weren't available to Mr. Ackley back in his day, along with the expanded choice of bullet weights in the .284 caliber. His slowest powder listing is IMR 4831 - still a darn'd good powder choice today, but the many other new ones might fit the bill for you a lot better.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

whoabill
    (2/17/03 5:25:36 pm)
    Thanks

I was looking at the rifle, because it was a great buy (my opinion). The rifle dealer who had it, was very dependable. He did not buy junk. He had the rifle 50 rounds and 3x9x40 redfield for $500. I didn't know anything about the ackley improved actions and looking for info.

All the responses I've gotten on this forum have been great. You guys know everything.

thanks again
    whoabill

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/18/03 3:11:25 pm)
    If the rifle appeals to you and you feel comfortable with the deal, go for it! You'll be OK with the cartridge and find lots of components to build good rounds with.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"