The Firearms Forum banner

7mm-08 Elk Hunting. Need help with reloading! Newbie

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  shootbrownelk 
#1 ·
Hello, I just purchased my first reloading kit (Hornady Classic). I own 2 hunting rifles. A 1949 Marlin 30-30 SC, and a Browning LT 81" 7mm-08. My 30-30 is for white tail hunting with shots on my property no further then 200 yds. But I would like to try Elk hunting, and my only option is to use my 7mm-08 because my grandfather passed it down to me just before he died, so I can't sell it. Otherwise I would pick up a .300, so I don't want this firearm to just sit around for target practice. I know it is a weak firearm for Elk, and that is why I need to make the most power and accurate ammo I can. I made my decision on my bullet and picked up a box of Barnes Long Range X-Bullet 145 gr. My question I need help with is what powder I should use, and how much! I just spent a ton of money on my kit and 5 sets of dies, I really am trying to avoid purchasing Barnes #4 reloading manual considering it will only be effective for this one piece of ammo. If any of you experienced guys could help me out, I sure would appreciate it! I envision shots from 150 yds to no more then 300 yds. I also have a Leupold 3X9 mag VX-1 scope mounted on this rifle.

#3 ·
My father-in-law used a 7mm-08 to bag an elk, he has meat is his freezer to prove that it works.

Ordinarily we might discuss the merits of each powder in great length, but these days the question is "Watcha got?" and then we'll go from there. A few weeks ago when I was at Cabela's in Post Falls I noticed plenty of IMR 4064 and 4895 available if you were willing to pay $28-$30/lb. In your case I would say that it is worth it.

The Hornady manual will give you a good idea which powders are suitable for the 7mm-08, but Hodgdon load data will give you even more options. Click on that link then select "7mm-08" from the list and check the box for "145gr". After that click the big red "Get Load Data" button and it will show you 16 options. With that list at hand call up Cabela's in Tulalip and Olympia/Lacey and see if anything that they have is on the list.

#5 ·
Our Sportsmen's Warehouse down here appears to get restock shipments on Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon they start restocking the shelves, but it seems that they try to be a little random with when they actually put out the powder. I've walked in at 11am on a Thursday and it was clear that they had just put out the powder, but another Thursday at the same time it is all gone but a lone can of magnum rifle powder. They also don't get powder every week, about every other week on average I'd say.

If possible drop in each Wednesday evening a little before closing and again Thursday morning a few hours after opening. Keep that up for a month or two and you can't help but find a can of something suitable. You can also buy online, Powder Valley has 8lb kegs of IMR 4064. Even after hazmat and shipping fees it works out to about $24/lb.

#6 ·
At ranges under 300 yards, I wouldn't hesitate to take an elk with a tested and proven rifle/ammo combo in 7-08.
I've had good success with benchmark in my A-bolt and am working up some loads that I am going to test later this month I hope. I will post some follow-up after I test. Varget would be a good choice to test also; very versatile powder, but sometimes hard to find around here.

#7 ·
I will second Varget, and add RL-17 as a powder to try. Just spent some time researching 7mm-08 loads for Elk, and long range hunting. Lots of talk about RL-17 behind premium bullets like the Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, and Barnes TSX in 140gr - 160gr flavor. Personally I would stick with a 140 or 150. Seems like guys are getting 100-200fps more from RL-17 over Varget. Just an idea.

#9 ·
RL17 produces some seriously fast velocities. I've been doing testing with it in 300 and 338 win mag. 150 and 250gr bullets respectively. Alliants manual says 3,333fps for the 300 and just over 2,600fps for the 338. I'm averaging 3,500fps and 2,850fps from 24" barrels at alliants listed max. RL17 would be good to try in the 7mm-08.

#8 ·
I have 2 7-08s and load for 3 friends that also have 7-08s. My Ruger American likes IMR 4350 behind a 140 gr. Nosler partition and has accounted for 3 elk. The other three I load for 1 is a Savage Axis incredibly accurate using 154 gr. Hornady interlocks and H414.; 1 is an A-bolt and prefers 140 Ballistic tips the last is Remingto 700 and it also prefers 140 gr Nosler Partitons and IMR 4350.

Many suitable powders in the mid to slow burn rate will provide adequate results. Whatever you choose it is up to you to place the shot in a vital zone. The little 7-08 is not to far behind the 280 Renmington and is up to the task of taking down deer, elk, or Moose for that matter.

I am physically incapable of chasing down any big game anymore, but having been born and raised in Montana have had the opportunity to hunt elk for some 6 decades now. Personally my choice for elk was a 338 Win Mag pushing 180 grs at near 3,000. But I have used the 7-08 on 3 occaisons with excellent results. Good luck whenever you get to go hunting.

#10 ·
I'll second that opinion on IMR4350 for the 7mm/08 It works well in the cartridges I reload for a buddy. He's taken 6 elk in the last 6 seasons with his 7mm/08. If you keep shots under 300 yds. you'll not be "Under-Gunned". Forget the Nosler ballistic tips.
They are fine for target practice, but I've seen too many fail on deer sized game to recommend them for elk. Choose a tough bullet like the Barnes TTSX , a Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, or any premium copper alloy bullet for tough critters like elk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.