7mm-08 load info

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by SCOTTYDOG, Aug 25, 2009.

1. SCOTTYDOG

SCOTTYDOG New Member

O.K. Good folks. Here's a rookie question, well, not so rookie, but need some advice.
    Have a friend who just inherited a Savage model 14 (I think) in 7mm-08 from his brother.
    Wants to use it for elk this year and am trying to work up a little heavier load than 140 gr. bullets.
    Here's what I've decided to start with considering we're having a difficult time finding components.
    What I would like to start with (because it's what we have)is:
    Varget powder
    Hornady 162 gr. BTSP Interlock
    R-P Brass
    CCI Primers.
    Loaded 5 with 37.3 grs. Varget
    5 with 38.3 grs.
    5 with 39 grs. (all because Varget works well in my .308)
    Also am trying 5 rounds, 38 grs. IMR 4064 because it also works well in my .308.
    What I would like is some opinions on how to proceed from here. does this sound like I'm on the right track?
    Will be taking these to the range on Fri. next. Will let you know how they work out.
    Mainly the reason I'm asking for info is if these may not work out as I hope they will.
    I've worked up my loads in my .308 over several years and that's what I'm baseing my loads on for his rifle.
    Naturally I'm going by the reloading data in my books for 7mm-08. but just trying to find a reasonably good one for his rifle.
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SCOTTYDOG

SCOTTYDOG New Member

Update:
    Went to the range today to check out these loads.All were fairly good and we settled on 37.3 grs.of Varget behind a 162 gr Hornady BTSP.
    5 shot group was a little over an inch and a quarter 3 inchs high on center.
    Not too bad for a guy who hasn't shot a rifle in 10 years.
    Needless to say, my buddy was pretty happy as was I.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Varget seems like a good choice, if your group was 1", then don't worry about where it was at; it it groups, it's consistent; you can adjust from there.
    Your buddy now has 2 things to be happy about; a good group and having a friend that reloads !!
    Congrats on the initial success and future fine tuning of the load!