7mm 08 vs 308

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Nov 18, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I am been looking at a 7mm 08 or a 308 what is the main differance between them. I know the 7mm 08 is a 308 necked down to take a 7mm bullet what power and kick differance the to thanks
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    7MM-08 is just a little lighter in the recoil department due to its lighter bullet but is slightly flatter shooting. Basically anything you would use the .308 for you can use the 7 for, makes a good gun for those long shots like medium sized plains game. I'd be happy with either except the .308 is able to take heavier bullets for larger game like the 30-06 can take heavier bullets than the .308. For a youth gun the 7 has an edge without giving up anything in effectiveness and has more punch than the smaller .243.
  3. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I have a 30-06 and I am looking at another gun the main thing about the 7mm 08 is it a lot high around here. As far as kick how is the 308 vs the 30-06
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

depends on the action and the wt of the rifle. I have a very heavy 308 that is a dream to shoot. You can shoot it all day. I also have a 7mm08 that kicks like a shotgun. This all depends on the rifle you choose.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

If you already have a 30-06 then I would get the 7mm-08. I think that you would enjoy the rifle and like Old Grump said it would work great for antelope or deer in open country.
  6. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I am looking at the h&r handi rifle
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As you've been told, being a .308 necked down, you're basically looking at the 7-08 simply utilizing a lighter, flatter shooting bullet with a bit less recoil.
    And less recoil is the reason I just bought a 7-08 for my step son for this coming Christmas. He's soon to turn 16 and has been using one of my .308s for hunting. He can handle it just fine but not for extended bench time which he enjoys. The 7mm I think will be just the ticket for him. Not to mention that I'll have to get some time in with it too. :p I guess it's win, win! :D
  8. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

I think that you are going to find that the 7MMo8 kicks just as much as a 308

People uses all kinds of crazy analogies to justify buying a new gun.
    In the end, the one that has the best stock and plenty of weight will always kick less then some cheap gun with a plastic stock.

The amount of kick would have as much to do with the type of powder and the weight of the bullet as it would with the caliber.
    308 was designed off the 300 Savage - same parent case.

The 300 Savage will kick, but will kick less then the 308 with the same bullet, because the 300 Savage is not loaded as high as the 308.

Because the 308 came out around 1950 - there was no old or obsolete guns to contend with and since it was designed primarily as a military cartridge - there was no need to load it at anything less then the maximum amount of performance for that round.

Even Savage - that made the model 99 knew that if they were going to rechamber their rifles for this new round, that the action had to be able to withstand that amount of pressure. It was a go or go home type of deal.

The 7mmo8 is just a gimmick round that was already here - people loaded for it for years before it became commercially available.
    The only purpose for a 7mmo8 was to sell more guns!

Neither round is better then the other.

The 30-06 Springfield held all the accuracy records for 50 years before the 308 Winchester came along and broke them. The 308 did not break the accuracy records because it was a better round. It broke them because that was what the military was using after 1953 for their competitive shooting teams.

As gun manufacture gets better and as the use of telescopic sights became more popular and as the quality of the glass used in those optics got better, it did not matter which round you shot - they were all accurate.

On a apples to apples basis, the 30-06 is still king of that whole bunch - simply due to the fact that it holds more powder.

Why is the 300 Winchester Magnum better then the 30-06 - because it holds more powder.

Why is the 338 Lapua better then the 300 Winchester Magnum? Because it holds more powder.

Why is the 50 Caliber better then the 338 Lapua - because it throws a even bigger bullet and burns even more powder then all the rest.
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not necessarily.

True, weight is a determining factor in felt recoil. (Not the main reason I choose a wood stock model for my step son's rifle but a nice bonus.)

True again. With over the counter reduced load 140s in the -08 or even 120s, available, recoil should be fairly tame. In my case, I don't load for the -08 (at least for now) so that's handy.

True. And the same can be said about many other popular rounds in use today.

That's far from a new notion though. Face it, sales... well, it's what keeps the industry in business. That's good for all of us.

Not much different than the decades old .270 vs. the .30-06 debate but it gives people something to talk about.:)
  10. remington1990

remington1990 Member

What is the 280 like I haven't shot the or heard to much about I have shot the 7mm 08 before
  11. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

It is all about variety and something alittle different. I have probably 12 different cartridges for that reason. It is part of the hobby. Get the 7mm-08.
  12. Sandman

Sandman Member

I would get 7mm-08 because it is cooler!
  13. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Look at ammo availability and price in your area before you commit.
    308 is generally cheap and plentiful with dozens of bullet wt. choices.
    I know around here 7mm 08 is about twice the cost of .308 with only a couple of bullet wt. options available.
  14. The Count

The Count New Member

you sold me.
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jeff, it doesnt hurt to check the availability of ammo of both the 308 and the 7mm 08. Here in this area, the 7mm08's are a bit hard to come by over the counter. Ive never owned one but have been looking at the ammo availability of different stores/shops ive been going into as of late and the 308's are more easy to come by and seem to have a decent price per box on them.