The Firearms Forum banner

7mm-08

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  m77user 
#1 ·
Just bought a new A-Bolt in 7-08 and I am getting ready to start reloading. I think I want to shoot bullets in the 120 grain range for speed and accuracy. Anyone have any advice on starting points re: powder/bullets/primers etc? Thanks.....Ron:dontknow:

#2 ·
BOOKS

that's a starting point if you are not a current reloader.

the more manuals the better. most of the major players in the biz put one out. sierra, speer, lyman, lee, hornady, etc. Plus the various powder makers.

if you are already a relaoder and just looking for what others use?

I use win LRP's, varget, imr 3031, and my personal favorite rifle powder imr 4064 driving a 120gr nosler

now.. a lil more info and maybee we can help you more.. are you already a relaoder or?

#10 ·
IMO, anytime I find Federal brass in my collection, I crimp it for scrap sale. I always seems thin and stretches way to much, to often. All of my loads are on the low side which shouldn't cause this. My rifle has zoned in on Speer 145gr hotcors with IMR 3031 with 36grs. (CONSULT YOUR RELOADING MANUAL FOR SPECIFICATIONS) Looking in my manual this near the bottom of the loading scale which gives me light recoil, long brass life and sub moa groups.

#5 ·
like soundguy says pretty much any reloading manuel will be able to help you get started with load data for this fine caliber. I also have a 7m-08 in a a-bolt. I use IMR 4064, and usually shoot 100 gr sierras for practice, 140 gr. nosler partitions for deer hunting. Good luck. joe

#6 ·
Thanks Soundguy for a start. Is Federal Fusion brass any good?
as good as any other i guess. I have some fusion brass in my collection.. most of it is safari cartridge stuff though.. like 458 win mag.. etc.

did your kit come with a speer manual?

got a powder scale i assume? caliper? case trimmer? id/od debur tool?

are you going to ram prime or hand prime?

if there is something you are unsure about.. please ask...

#8 ·
IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and “tack driving” accuracy. Clearly, the competitor’s “choice” and the Varmint Hunter’s “dream powder”.

#11 ·
The only "advantage" that 7-08 has over these other two 7mm's is the availability of ammo. I would say price but I don't what you are paying for the other two. 7-08 loaded ammo tends to be pricey off the shelf, but I reform cases from 308Win so my cost is way down.

#12 ·
One Advantage is a lighter weight/short action rifle. The 7/08 consumes way less powder, and has way less recoil than a 7mm Mag. and is probably better suited to Midwest whitetails. The 7x57 is a good round for deer, but is semi-obsolete. And as karlrudin stated , ammo availability is better. JMO

#14 ·
I have a 7x57 on an ol Ruger 77 and a 7-08 on a Ruger American. The 7x57 likes Hornady 154 gr IL and the 7-08 likes 140 grain Nosler Partitions. The 7-08 is slightly more accurate but I have yet to use on any game. The 7x57 accounted for my longest shot on a whitetail at a lasered 308 yds. It was an immediate kill. 4 point western count. Outside Lewistown Mt. They are both good rounds for deer and useful on elk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.