7x57mm loads for a rolling block?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Aself, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Aself

Aself New Member

Question for somebody in the know...... I've got a 1902 Remington rolling block chambered in 7x57. I've shot a pretty anemic load through it for a few years now. However, I've decided that I want to play with it more and I'm not really sure what this particular rifle is capable of withstanding. The action is tight and everything is solid. I know that a lot of the published recipes are pretty mild due to some of the older rifles out there. You think I should stop there, or is it okay to look for some stouter load?Ultimately it doesn't really matter, I just like experimenting. Also, I would like to try some hunting with it, hence the desire for a little more bump. Any ideas/comments?

Thanks
  2. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

Are you willing to bet your life on your opinions of this rifle? I would get it to a good gunsmith and have them look it over and get their opinion on the loads you want to shoot.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id stick with lower level loads for it. The rolling block action isnt known for being the stoutest action ever built. Thats why its lumped in there with trapdoor springfield loads when its chambered in the .45-70.

Whats your current load? Is it accurate?