8 shot 22 short SA revolver?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mesinge2, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

7 shot 22 short SA revolver?

My friend's grandfather pasted away and I have been helping him identify the guns in his collection, but one has me stumped. It probably isn't worth much, but he is curious at to the origin.

It is a 22 short 7 shot single action revolver with the word "Leader" on the top-strap just in front of the rear sight.

Here are the pics:

Unidentified Gun 5.jpg
    Unidentified Gun 6.jpg
    Unidentified Gun 7.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Leader was one of a class of guns generally known as "suicide specials." That term may have originated in the idea that they were good for only one shot or the thought that using one to challenge someone better armed would be suicide.

In any case, they sold around 1870-1900 for as little as $1, very cheap even then and about $40 today. In other words, they were very poor quality guns and should not be fired with any modern ammunition. There is a mild collector interest in those guns as a group, but usually only if the gun is in near new condition. To a few people, that gun might be worth $50 or so, but because of liability issues dealers won't take them in, even on trade, and gunsmiths won't work on them. It is probably legally an antique (made before 1899) but there is no way to be sure, so it would be best to consider it "a gun" for legal purposes.

The cylinder pin looks like it was made from something else - home made parts are not uncommon on old guns - and the frame looks like it might have been broken and brazed back together.

The best thing for your friend to do is consider any value as purely sentimental and give the old gun an honorable retirement on the wall or in a display case.

Jim
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Better count the chambers again, most are 7 shot.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the LEADER name is found on Hopkins & Allen single action spur trigger revolvers manufactured from about 1871 to ????. hrf is correct most of the 22's were 7 shot but an 8 shot would not surprise me at all.
    bill
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Re: 7 shot 22 short SA revolver?

I did it is seven I couldn't rotate the cylinder so I had trouble at first.
    Thanks for the info guys. I just called him and told him it was a Hopkins & Allen.

Crazy thing is that he had a 1912 Smith & Wesson M&P in the same box in much better condition
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010