8mm/06 Ackley Improved

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mesen
    (5/29/01 10:48:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 8mm/06 Ackley Improved
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone had any experience w/this round? Would one of these like new 8x57 mauser variants I keep seeing be a good conversion candidate? Unless I've missed something all that should be necessary is chamber reaming and checking headspace?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

Kdubya
    (5/29/01 11:54:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 8mm/06 Ackley Improved
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, Mesen -

My P.O. Ackley Volune I, Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, says the 8x57 AI is a very good cartridge, indeed. Quote: "This cartridge can be considered one of the best of the large bore wildcats and certainly adequate for the largest North American big game."

He recommends increasing the loading for the standard 8mm/06 by 5% for the AI version. The #13 Speer reloading manual list loads for the 8mm/06.

Also, says the standard 8x57 is easily converted simply by rechambering and lengthening the magazine box slightly to handle the longest bullets, if desired.

Since this is strictly a handloading proposition, you should be able to work up loads pretty near equaling the 8mm Mag, with the added benefit of cheap brass that doesn't have a useless belt.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Mesen
    (5/29/01 5:18:50 pm)
    Thanks Kdub
    Actually it was me rather than the better half with the question but guess this computer thinks she's me or something like that was curious about that round wonder why more of these inexpensive old 8x57's haven't been converted sounds like it would make a real good elk rifle without having a fortune in it
    Fredneck
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

Kdubya
    (5/29/01 9:38:49 pm)
    Yeah, Mes -

Been pondering that ever since posting this morning. Keep thinking it would be akin to the .35 whelen or the .338-06 in capabilities. Even with smaller bullet when compared to the other two, the difference between .323" and .338 won't be great for the moderate ranges we're talking about. A 200 gr spire point with ballistic coe. of .411, moving at around 2800fps should get the job done on the largest of elk, bear, moose or what have you.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

the real fredneck
    (5/30/01 8:44:29 am)
    Kdub
    which of the mauser variants do you think would make a nice one? would the barrel have to be removed? could the same reamer used on the chamber also be used to convert a set of 8x57 dies? I used to daydream about cars and girls now seem to be drifting further out to sea.

Kdubya
    (5/30/01 12:23:06 pm)
    I would imagine any quality M98 can easily be converted, and if the barrel is still in good condition, leave it. Die bodies are fairly hard, so it may be best to find a good set of used ones or bite the bullet and purchase new. If you know what you're doing, or have a gunsmith lined up, don't see any reason why the same chamber reamer couldn't be used for both - it would certainly guarantee custom fit!

Working up on wildcats, I normally have a barreled action rechambered to desired caliber by my favorite gunsmith here. If it seems to be what I'm searching for, then I'll go ahead and have it rebarreled with a quality aftermarket barrel, have the bolt face freshened and reworked if necessary, the receiver squared, threads chased, bolt altered, lugs lapped, adjustable trigger installed, new safety, new stock, drilled/tapped for scope, etc.

By the time it's done, the cost of a new commercial rifle is exceeded, but, by golly, I have my custom rifle in a cartridge that's unique! Many times the gun makers will come out with something that closely compares with my wildcat soon after all the above work is done - that's the way it goes! The 25-06 was chambered by Remington not long after a Ruger #1 had been converted. The 7mm Dakota wildcat was shortly followed by the Rem Ultra Mag and Win Short Mag cartridges. I suppose in the near future, some one will chamber the 6.5-06 and take away it's wildcat status. Oh well, it's still fun putting them together!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

WyomingSwede
    (5/30/01 9:30:33 pm)
    Kdub...all I can add to your previous post is.....very well said!!! You da man...
    Wyoming Swede

Kdubya
    (5/31/01 12:32:10 am)
    Aw, Shucks Swede -

Twern't nuttin - Ol' Tye needs to chime in to give the real techno skivvy. You'll make me start blushing just like him!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Bubba Johnson
    (6/5/01 6:03:10 am)
    I have a 8mm wildcat that is close to a 8mm-06 AI, but not quite. The man who built it after WWII called it a 8mm magnum, and stamped this on the barrel. After fireforming a 30-06 in it, and then making a cast of the chamber, I found that it was a true one of a kind wildcat slightly larger in thr shoulder than a Ackley Improved with nearly the same shoulder taper. AI dies work very well for it. It shoots well but is not outstanding when compared to a 8x57 or 30-06. If you buy one already chambered and ready to go at a good price it is worth loading for. There are too many calibers around now that will out perform it that weren't available when Ackley improved the old 8mm-06. But, it is not a killer to rechamber. You can rent a reamer for about $35 and if patient find a set of used dies for under $50. 30-06 cases are certainly not hard to come by.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/5/01 4:52:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 8mm/06 Ackley Improved
    Welcome aboard Bubba!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator
  2. justinwbasham

justinwbasham New Member

Hi I have a 8mm-06 ackley and it is a Cannon. Be prepared to spend a little money the dies from Reddings are $120.. They are hard to find I have a reammer. I used 30-06 loads and worked my way up to get ackley loads. Mine works just fine on a yugo 22/47. I used the military barrel and rechambered. The current load I am using is 65 grains of RL22 and a 170 grn bullet. I regular 30-06 uses 62grains of RL22 with a 170grain projectile so for an Acley the load is fine. If I could get more powder in the case I would. The -06 is cranking 3000 by the books with this load so the 8mm-06 Ackley is probally around 3100 and could be load up a little more.. If you compare to a 30-06 Ackley the 8mm-06 Ackley has a little more case capacity.... Chech out the .338-06 Ackley specs to compare loads start light and go until you get flat primmers. I have been using regular rifle primers..
  3. justinwbasham

justinwbasham New Member

4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I don't think you'd want to use a chamber reamer to try to convert your dies. The dies are hard & besides that you wouldn't get any sizing out of your die then-just cases that would slide in & out like your gun's chamber.

With the 8mm milsurp ammo that's still available & the ability to load your own 8mm standard cases to full power loads I think you'd be better served leaving any 8mm rifle alone.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008