The Firearms Forum banner

8mm Mauser question

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Have been considering the purchase of a Yugo M24/47. They call it an 8mm but then in parenthesis add 7.92. So I go to CTD and look for ammo. They have 8MM and 7.92 Kurz ammo. So does anyone know which of the two it would be?

#3 ·
In this country it is usually called 8mm Mauser, or 8x57 Mauser. In other countries it is known as 7.92x57JS.

Helix is right. 7.92 Kurz (7.92 short) is NOT what you want.

#4 ·
Thank you gentlemen. Can you tell me anything about these rifles? I know they aren't K91's but are these generally good shooters?

#5 ·
I have a Yugo Mauser,,,I found the Surplus Ammo out there will never let you be accurate ,,the Bullet weight and Powder are all over the Board,,,I started re-loading my own a short time ago and while i haven,t settled on a final round yet the rifle shoots great,,and i find they are built very solid

#6 ·
Yugo M24/7 is a good rifle. If I didn't already have a K98k that's just the rifle I would buy.
My K98k is a Yugo capture/rework and really likes the Federal Power Shock. For accurate, full power hunting ammo, Norma can not be beat. Pricey, but worth it.

#7 ·
I have a Yugo M-48 and a Czech VZ-24, both of which are 8mm rifles. As Fast Forward mentioned, the accuracy with surplus ammo is acceptable, but definitely not 'tack drivers". I do not reload 8mm (yet) since there is still plenty of surplus ammo out there. Besides, I have enough surplus ammo to last me a few years, anyway!

The M24/47, the M48, and the VZ-24 rifle are all Mauser designed K98 type rifles and any one of them would serve you well. About the only difference in them is that the M48 has the "cupped" butt plate more like the K98 where the other two have a straight butt plate.

#8 ·
About the only difference in them is that the M48 has the "cupped" butt plate more like the K98 where the other two have a straight butt plate.
Actually, the M48's bolt and reciever are approxamately 1/8 in shorter than the K98 and Vz rifles. It still uses the same ammo, but is just different enough to not allow substantial parts interchangability.

#10 · (Edited)
As everyone else has said, your rifle is 8X57 caliber. Most of the milsurp ammo that I've seen has been stored under less than optimum conditions, and those old primers never seem to be quite up-to-standard for consistency.

I managed to buy serveral sealed cases of 1935 and 1936 German 8X57 ball ammo very cheap from J&G Sales, and also some Turkisk suprlus ball ammo. The Turk stuff was sure-fire but really dirty shooting, and the German ammo primers were mostly hang-fire or misfires. Bought a couple hundred new Winchester 8X57 cases and primed them with modern Remington primers. Pulled the bullets and used the powder charges as-is and reloaded into the new cases. Pretty darned accurate results thru a K98K. Got rid of the corrosive primers - guys at the local Gun Show were eager to snap the old unfied cases up, even when I told them about the hang-fires and mis-fires. Go figure.

I've seen "Match" surplus 8mm ammo advertised, but I think that is mostly hype for ammo that had been stored properly.

#11 ·
the german 7.92 you see at shows commonly in the slanted boxes.. 8mm mauser?

there's a guy that comes tothe local shows that has a huge wood crate full.. comes like 8-10 rnds each on 2 strillers in the slanted looking box.. and he's pracitcally giving them away for like 2$.. if it's 8mm mauser.. i need to buy a bunch.. :)

#12 ·
I don't know about "slanted boxes", but there are three German 7.92s (actually more, if you want to count the 7.92x57J, but let's skip it for now).

You got your 7.92x33, which was made for the MP44. Little short thingy. Kinda like 7.62x39.

You got yor 7.92x57, which was the standard military rifle and machine gun round. That's the one you want.

You also got the 7.92 x 56. This is for the 1895 Steyr. It was a "substitute standard" for the 3rd Reich. So there is a lot of Nazi-marked ammo for it around.

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating-rifle/at/steyr-mannlicher-m95-e.html

#13 ·
If you click on the third picture on that site, it blows up to show you a nice pic of a rifle next to a loaded clip. Clip is slanted. That might be why the box you mention is slanted. Two loaded clips in the box, maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.