1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

8mm Mauser, what do I need to know

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CCHolderinMaine, Mar 7, 2013.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

a friend of a friend has an "8mm WW2 Mauser" for sale. I'm going to look at this thing shortly. Can anybody give me the "quick and dirty" as to what to look for as far as telling what this gun actually is? I mean, is there a thing or three that if I see I'm either definitely interested in or definitely not interested in? I'm pretty sure he's saying WW2 as it has a 2 digit date that puts it in the early 40's. Sorry if this is utterly too vague, I just have no idea, but I'd like a WW2 Mauser of some sort. Been told "it looks really nice" and the asking is $250, with hints that $200 will take it. Any info is greatly appreciated!
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Manufacturers Codes on German Military Mausers*
    S/42 Mauser-Werke, A.-G.,
    42 Obendorf a./N.
    660 Steyr-Daimler-Puch, A.-G., Steyr, Austria
    945 Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Brno, Czechoslovakia
    ar Mauser-Werke, A.-G., Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    ax Feinmechanische Werke, G.m.b.H., Erfurt, Altonaerstr. 25
    bcd Gustloff Werke, Werk Weimar, Weimar
    bnz Steyr-Daimler –Puch, A.-G., Werk Steyr, Steyr, Austra
    byf Mauser-Werke, A.-G., Oberndorf a./N.
    ce J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    dot Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Brno, Czechoslovakia
    dou Waffenwerke Bruenn, A.-G., Werk Bystrica
    duv Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabriken, Werk Luebeck
    svw Mauser-Werke, A.-G., (late code) Oberndorf a./N.
  3. CCHolderinMaine

Thanks for the post. I've looked at that chart. My question is; Do I want any one of those? My knowledge of Mausers is so limited, I'm not sure if I could tell if it was a 98 or some other.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

If it's complete not been cut down and in good condition $200 would be a good buy. Don't worry about the bolt not matching but a plus if it is. Nazi markings a BIG plus.
    I love the Steyrs
  5. Stez

Stez New Member

Do you have any photos of the rifle? I would love to see it.
  6. CCHolderinMaine

I passed. Wood had way to shiny varnish all over it, just looked wrong. It was a Yugo m48. Not the WW2 Mauser I'm looking for.
    I do have a question....on the side of the receiver it had several empty screw holes. I figured bubba had a scope on it at one time. After passing on it, I was thinking "holy cow I hope that wasn't some sort of rare sniper model" Poked around on the web for a bit and didn't see where a sniper model existed, just lots of questions about how someone would go about putting on a scope.
    Any input on this potentially being some sort of sniper model?
  7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Went to Google Image and entered YUGOSLAVIAN M48 SNIPER RIFLE. Several images cropped up, but all appear to have scope mounts attatched on top of the reciver and not the side.
  8. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I think the general concensus is that there are many more ww2 vintage sniper rifles today than there ever were during the war. I think you were wise to pass.
  9. Stez

Stez New Member

+2 ;)