1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

9/11/01 vs. 12/7/41?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/11/01 9:58:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 9/11/01 vs. 12/7/41?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lots of comment today, about "another Pearl Harbor..."

Not even close, really...while we were unprepared on Dec. 7th, NOBODY was confused on the 8th who are enemies were, or what we had to do to beat them.

Plus, the sheer numbers of casualties wasn't even close...

But there ARE parallels...

The panic, the not knowing what was coming next, the need to show the President in charge, in the White House...with resolve...

But somehow, I don't think we put fake wooden MGs on the roof of the White House today, like we did back then for show, because we didn't HAVE any real ones available...

While it was almost humorous when my wife said they closed the courthouse in our small town and placed SWAT members at each door, the panic was similar, as well as the need to "put on a show for the public." They did that back then too, many farmers watching the coasts and fields for invasion or paratroops with their .30-30s in Dec. '41...

And you know, it might have been a little reassuring...

In a way though, I was pleased, if that's the word, that at least the reporters today seemed to APPRECIATE Pearl Harbor and what it meant, that's a change at least...

God Bless America...
    Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 7:16:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 9/11/01 vs. 12/7/41?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is more horrific than Pearl Harbour because of the civilian targets and use of civilians as weapons. Pearl was a military target, we knew who the enemy was and we took action immediately. Are we, as a nation, going to do that now? Do our leaders have the balls to do what is necessary to take the appropriate actions now? I'm not sure they do. Too much political correctness and worry about their next term in office. I hope I am wrong, but they will have to show it for me to believe it. We had a different character of men in our country in 41. We still had the political agenda, but men had balls back then and were not afraid of taking action when necessary. Wll this country ever be that brave again?

TallTLynn
    (9/12/01 7:43:52 am)
    polishshooter - more died yesterday than at Pearl Harbor. This was shown on national TV unlike Pearl and it was the attack of a city with no real military value (as in military base) that to me makes it as worse as Pearl Harbor if not more so.

The biggest problem here is that we've got an enemy and we don't know exactly who it is. The cowards attacked us and now won't own up to it.

God help those who are different for I fear the anger of many americans will be visited upon them whether or not they are the one's that should be gone after.

Xracer
    (9/12/01 9:18:56 am)
    Exactly right "T"....the vast majority of Moslems in this country are hard-working patriotic Anmericans, many of whom fled their native countries to escape fanatics such as the ones who perpetrated this atrocity.

Another sad "Day of Infamy" for our country.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/12/01 10:03:37 am)
    Though Pearl Harbor was a Military target and a planned mission, it truely was not that successful.....all things considered. This attack on New York and the Pentagon was a very well executed mission, with maximum effect. Three out of four are very good odds. News coming out from some of the phone calls states, the PA plane was headed for the Capitol and the captain rolled his plane in a unrecoverable dive. He may be the hero of this one. If this plane had hit the capitol and they were four for four, that final strike would have been a the final blow and would have over shadowed the others, even if the death had been less. This would have been a direct attack on our most precious piece of history. What I am still waiting for is the other countries to speak up, I have only seen a few. Any country that does not support us in our hunt for these people or our resolve the find them, should be shunned. I feel it`s also time to withdraw from NATO, the time could not be better. Let them fend for themselves.......seems like were always being drawn in and give the most support......SCREW THEM! Let them fend for themselves for awhile and whine and cry. Do you notice that NATO has said NOTHING!!! Seen any meetings conviened by them.............????????
    I could be wrong......Nah!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 11:36:56 am)
    After the attack on Pearl Harbor, how long was it until the U.S. rounded up all the Jap's and put them into camps here in the U.S.

I don't beleive this will happen with the muslems/Arabs that are living here today.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Xracer
    (9/12/01 6:45:35 pm)
    I believe that the roundup of "Japanese" in the U.S. began in April of '42. Unfortunately, we made no distiction between Japanese aliens, naturalized U.S. citizens or native-born Americans of Japanese ancestry. A very, very sad day in American history.

I hope we'll never see it's like again.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 9:13:28 pm)
    If they want to call it like "Pearl Harbor" I wonder if they rememberd that we sent the Japs a Nuke.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/01 12:12:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 9/11/01 vs. 12/7/41?
    LIKTOSHOOT, what News are you watching?
    Looks more like all the planes were flown by terrorists, and that on the PA crash plane some passengers took it upon themselves to take action (and I suspect the terrorist pilot crashed the plane before he could be removed from the cockpit - either way, assault on Capitol / White House averted).
    Also, NATO nations have overwhelmingly issued support, that 'an attack on the US is tantamount to an attack on ALL NATO nations', and given promises of following whatever lead the US gives in the coming days.

Rich

polishshooter
    (9/15/01 11:37:52 pm)
    I believe we are doing the right thing...preparing the people for the "long War..." rather than sending a few missiles...in fact the last time we did that MAY have sparked this...and they think WE are cowards for hiding behind technology...

I think assets on the ground are what's needed, Delta Force Snatch backed up by the 101st and massive Air, (Possibly Coalition, or NATO) with a another Infantry Division, possibly backed with SOVIET Armor, staged out of RUSSIA for God's sake (Don't quite trust the Pakistanis yet...) with Russian advisors from the Afgan War helping us...Bush and Putin get along nicely...there is no love lost between them and Afgans, and I'd trust their support facilities more than Pakistans.

BUT...it can't be over when we get Trash Bin (AND we will...) Bush needs to convince us we are in an ONGOING war, build up SOP and Intelligence Assets, plant some more sattelites right over Syria, Iraq, Libya, the Sudan and anbody else, and reserve the right to take IMMEDIATE preemptive action ANYWHERE ANYTIME we determine possible terrorist training bases are spotted ANYWHERE. And its OUR call, not theirs...the countries that back us THEN are our friends, the rest?

We need Americans ON THE GROUND in Afghanistan to take them on Mano a Mano...the Afghans are saying they think the Americans will be easier to beat than the Russians...they haven't figured out it was because of OUR help, and they have nobody now to help them but Iraq, and that would "Make GW's Day..."

It's going to take time, people, we don't have close to the assets we had even 10 years ago, and that build-up took us 6 months...

We have lots of leftover M1A1s pre-positioned in Saudi Arabia, but we now have essentially NOBODY trained in them in the whole ARMY. We now use A3s...we would even have to take time to train our troops "down" to use them...but they would still do the job if we needed to march on Bahgdad, provided they all started...
    Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)