9 mm and 40 cal glock question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by darkwolf210, Dec 9, 2010.

1. darkwolf210

darkwolf210 New Member

Hello all, I own a glock 17 9mm police trade in, and a glock 27 .40 caliber subcompact gun. I have a few questions if anyone can help...

1. I fired both the 9mm and the .40 cal, 100 rounds through each and when cleaning them, the 9mm had little to no debris or dirt or anything it looked almost fresh, opposed to the .40 cal which was very dirty. Is this due to the length of the barrel or the size of the rounds im shooting?

2. When do you need to replace a barrel on a handgun? Should you have one on the side that you take to the range and one thats fresh for the fight (would anyone know how that works too? I just call glock and pay for it?)?

Thats it! Thanks guys :)
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the size of the rounds doesnt really affect how dirty the gun gets from shooting. a shorter barreled gun will get dirtier faster because more of the powder is still burning when the bullet is leaving the barrel

the type of powder used in the bullet though makes a big difference. some burn cleaner then others.

only powder type should influence how dirty the inside of the gun is though given all other factors are the same.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

john is correct the shorter barrel does not allow for all the powder to burn up thus leaving some semi burned powder behind. check around i know they make ammo designed for short barrelled guns in 9mm so i assume they make it in 40 s&w too. these rounds are designed to be quicker burning/igniting. as for the barrel replacment . depending on what you're shooting thru the barrel it should out live you in 99.9% of the cases.
  4. darkwolf210

darkwolf210 New Member

Thank you very much :)
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    guys,i dont agree,a short barrel will not or should not leave more unburned powder in the barell it will leave unburned powder outside the barrell.once ignition is started it will burn until it either has no more oxygen or it reaches the end of the barrell,thats why you have more muzzle flash in a short gun than a long one,think about it.............old semperfi
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

thats what i meant to say old semperfi. a short barrel makes the end of the gun dirtier. not the inside.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

There's a joke in that somewhere but i am too darn lazy at the moment to figure it out.... :D;)

mike
    gn
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What ammo was used in each? Due to the powder used, some ammo burns quite clean while others burn rather "dirty".