9 shot 22 revolver

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mooresridge9, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mooresridge9

mooresridge9 New Member

I want a 9 shot 22 revolver for target shooting-6"barrell.I like the looks and reputation of a High Standard R 107 Sentenial.Any suggestions.H&R's are readily available and seem cheap.I'm looking for a smooth trigger and accurate.
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

I have a high standard model-107 sentinal and it is very accurate but the trigger is a little stiff.One drawback is the frame is alumimun, I wish it was solid steel.The harrinton and richardson model 929 is also a 9 shot 22 avalible in a six inch barrel.I think in my opinion it's a higher quality gun.Both can be had in high quality for 150.00 to 200.00.Good luck, you'll will find one ,that's the fun part,looking.
  3. old_man

old_man New Member

I just posted on the technical questions forum here about issues I had with an H&R 922.

But with the issues sorted out I very much like the gun. I heard the older ones like mine are better quality than the newer ones, but I don't know that for sure.

Keep in mind that those like mine have no safety and one piece triggers, so if it's hit on the hammer with a round in the chamber it could go off. It's a bit of a pain to reload on a freezing day, but that's only because it's fun and cheap to put lots of rounds through it. If you get one, I'd suggest having a table available, since you'll have the cylinder, frame, center pin, spent cartridges, new rounds, and maybe the extractor all in your hands at the same time otherwise. The new ones have cylinders that swing out instead and are more convenient, but again I heard the quality dropped with time. Parts for these are cheap (cylinder at numrich is 35 dollars, etc.)

Mine groups well but has fixed sights, with groupings slightly off (at about 8:00). I'm clamping a cheap laser under the barrel to train me to instinct shoot this gun.

Trigger pull on mine when used single action beats my semi-auto carries. Very crisp and short. It's a .22 so there is very little jump. The manual says it can shoot long rifle, longs and shorts, and that is good for me now that I know it, since the subsonic short is supposed to be very quiet which is a plus for me in the woods at five in the morning.

They go for about 100 dollars. I paid 150 because I got it from a local gun dealer and I thought that would include some kind of quality checkout, which didn't happen. But had I bought in online, I would have had to pay postage and for the FFL'd dealer to accept it, which together could have cost me another 80 dollars total anyway. And there wouldn't have been any guarantee there either.

You want it for target. I bought it for trapping. I wanted a rimfire with a long barrel for quick target acquisition at short distance without obliterating the pelt, a revolver so that it would probably work even after being dropped in the snow and ice, and cheap so that if anything happened to it I wouldn't be out an expensive firearm or repair. So far it's perfect for what I wanted.

And I like old guns.

Good luck with your search.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

I have a Sentinel R101 and it is good to go. The 6" bbl makes a nice sight alignment set up and the single action is really good. Mine was made about 1958 I think.
    My 1st .22 was a 9-shot H&R model 949. It was a very decent revolver and you wouldn't go wrong getting one of those either. I do prefer the Sentinel over the H&R though. My H&R was loud as a 22 magnum. Haven't ever heard a lr revolver with quite a bark as that was!
    Best, Mike
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

H&R model 999 Sportsman.
    Nothing "cheap" about them!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. old_man

old_man New Member

Very cool looking. Are those barrel hinges? Trigger setup looks different, too. No secondary trigger for single action showing.

I didn't mean any insult. I just regurgitated what I read when I was doing research on the web. The 999's look like quality. And the cylinders seem to go pretty flush with the back of the frames, unlike my 922. I would assume that they are quieter.

The 922 is kinda like the old revolvers (of larger caliber of course) that Gene Hackman might have played with in "Unforgiven".
  7. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

They are top breaks.
    Also, the single action sear is there, it just isn't very visible in my pics.
    I like my 922's, and all my other models, but, the Sportsman is the top dog in the H&R kennel!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. budman46

budman46 New Member

mooresridge9,

a 6" revolver for target shooting with a decent trigger? h&r made good, utility revolvers with the 999 at the top of the heap, but not a gun i'd single out for target shooting due to their iffy triggers and light weight.

my top choice revolver is a s&w k-22 in any of its variations, but they're pretty pricey. next would be whatever taurus offers in the category, but i wouldn't discount ruger's super single-six; not a double-action, but most plinkers only shoot single action, anyway.
    price and accuracy.

if price (new), accuracy and shootability are the absolute criteria, any ruger .22 auto pistol wins my vote hands down...especially with a volquartsen sear to really clean up the trigger. oh, yeah, the old ones hold 9 rounds, new, 10.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...
  9. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

Great Guns, I wonder why they stopped making them. Looking for one myself.
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I am surprised you have not bought a target pistol yet!:D