91/30 Question I fielded, little help?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/10/01 10:03:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 91/30 Question I fielded, little help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I been in contact by e-mail with a gentleman who had questions about his '36 Tula 91/30.

He didn't know where it was made, I handled that OK, but it has "Made in the USSR" in English stamped on the reciever, he wanted to know what it meant.

He thought he may have had a "Made in the USA-Remington."

I told him all about the US 91s, and how his was definitely was a Tula, but I'm stumped on the English markings.

Is it an importer's mark, or something else? Century didn't do that awhile ago did they? My Century 91/30s don't have that, just the tiny markings near the muzzle on the barrel.

How about a Russian EXPORT like to another commie country, maybe China, Vietnam, etc...

What do you know, Bob?

SBLasher
    (6/11/01 6:18:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 91/30 Question I fielded, little help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sure that is just the import marking, Navy Arms and I think Interordnance put their markings on the reciever.
    Lash

polishshooter
    (6/11/01 8:09:01 pm)
    Thanks, Steve.

I invited him over here, I hope he makes it.

Bob In St Louis
    (6/11/01 8:55:09 pm)
    Some of the MNs imported in the 1980s were marked "made in USSR" - I don't believe it was Century that marked them that way, they stamped them "Made in Rus." I believe. The ones with the USSR marking were imported by some New Jersey or New York firm, that for the life of me I can't remember the name now - Islip keeps coming to mind - I think it is the company known as Wholesale Gun & Ammo now, but it used to be some other name.

Boy, battin' a thousand here tonight with the ol' gray matter.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!