94 Winchester 30-30

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Redd, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Redd

Redd Member

I have a model 94 30-30 that has a side mount scope attached. The scope has lost its ability to hold zero and I'm having trouble finding a scope with adjustment knobs short enough to still see the iron sights.

So, I'm looking for one of two things:

1. A scope with short enough knobs to allow me to see the irons.

2. A set of the right screws to plug the holes left from removing the scope mount.

I know the plugs can be found online, but I was just curious to see if anyone had a set lying around. I'd rather buy them from someone here than a company getting them from China. I've also considered peep sights, but I don't know which are best and don't really want to change out the front sight. But, if I need to, I will.
    Any help is appreciated, I was just hoping I'm not the only one having this problem.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I have a Winchester with the side mounted scope also. My scope is turned 45 deg so top knob is now on left side and right knob is now the top knob. works fine and can still see the iron sights. just remember the adjustments needed are changed also when you do this!
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Hunter's suggestion to turn the scope is spot on for a side-mount on a 94. But try turning it a full 90deg (quarter turn) instead of just 45. :D
    Your elevation knob becomes the windage knob and vice versa.

For the screws if you do decide to remove the mount, check with a local gun smith or post up some pictures of your mount.
    There are several different side-mounts for the 94, and I suspect most of them mount to the same holes but there might be an oddball out there.
    If your mount is attached to the receiver-sight (peep sight) screw holes on the side of the receiver, those should be 6-48 thread. The front screw on the Weaver side-mount attaches to the cartridge guide screw. All of those should be available at Brownells, NumrichArms, or maybe even a local shop.
    Check Numrich's website for a schematic and parts list for your rifle. www.gunpartscorp.com