98.9% custom 10/22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Rainbowjizz, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Rainbowjizz

Rainbowjizz New Member

bought a 10/22 carbine at wally world :p

well heres some pics of the things i have done to it so far... more coming soon :p
    the original product
    [​IMG]

my quick conversion (wanted to get to the range:))
    [​IMG]

New barracuda stock ordered off of "http://www.paulzintgunsmith.com/" EXTREMELY recommended man to buy from.
    [​IMG]

new bushnell 3-9x40 banner dusk & dawn
    [​IMG]

Externally complete besides extended mag release :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm very proud of the outcome of my rifle although my mother is not;) lol its what happens when a 16 year old get a job and makes more money then i can spend :D
    have a bit more then a $1000 tied up into this rifle :D

this week sometime i should also be getting some internal parts aswell :D hope you like it! suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

It would be interesting to find out how much you have invested in that $250 gun! I only have about $350 in my Savage MKII BTVS including the scope and ready to go.
  3. Rainbowjizz

Rainbowjizz New Member

including the gun... i have paid alittle over $1000 for everything. :p

next project is a Remington 700 ;)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice rifle.. Although I can think of about a hundred better ways to burn a grand..;)

Good luck on the Rem 700.
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

All that money....how accurate is it?
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My fully Volquartsenized 10/22 can NOT shoot with my bottom of the line Anschutz Varmint (based on 64 receiver with fully adjustable two stage trigger) at about $800. Accuracy is close at 25 yds but no Gold Metal for the 10/22. But the 10/22 is a semi-auto after all.

I have nearly that much in my Volquartsenized 10/22 but it was a project so you have to discount your costs for a project to account for the fun of building exactly what you want. Today the fastest and cheapest way to an accurate 10/22 is to buy Ruger top of the line model and do a drop in trigger parts mod and you are good to go. A friend who has competed very successfully did just that and it will shoot with my Volquartsenized version 10/22.

LDBennett
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

for that same thousand bucks the OP could have just bought a Magnum Research MagnumLite (semi custom ruger 10/22 magnum by Magnum Research) http://www.magnumresearch.com/MagnumLite.asp and still had 250 bucks leftover for a way better scope than a bushnell banner. These things are going for about 750 bucks NIB, which is still a crapload for a .22 rimfire.

I personally would have spent 450 bucks on a CZ452 or a Browning T-Bolt and driven nails right out of the box, especially since I would still have over 500 skinz to drop on a kickass scope and mounts.. JMHO...
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Every thing you folks say is true but at the same time we have a young man jumping into the gun hobby with both feet. So a little encouragement along with the advice is needed I think. He could have spent that money on something a lot worse than his own, built the way he wanted Ruger 10/22.
  9. luvthegun

luvthegun New Member

Didn't any of you guys buy a cheap car when you were young. Then some rims and tires, nice radio, exhaust etc... Thats part of the fun for a young guy. Don't have to make sense just fun. Good job OP have fun with it.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with you guys, it is indeed a job well done. im just tossing the kid some ideas.. Hes hooked for life. ;) I know because 11 years ago, I was sailing the very same boat.. Ive spent the money and later realized I could have had twice the rifle for half the money. its part of the game.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For some it is a lot easier to build a gun and spend the money in dribs and drabs rather than in one outlay. It fits some budgets better and for some keeps the home front under control. Some wives don't understand the necessity of still another expensive gun but miss the expenditures when put out in small parcels. (Not my problem!)

Then there is the fact that it is YOUR project and comes out as good as you are. How much is pride worth?

And finally I think there is no SEMI-AUTO 22LR that can shoot with a better version of a upgraded 10/22. Bolt guns are nice and accurate but lack a bit of fun factor for me. I have both, mind you. But chasing a can out to as far as you can see is FUN and best done with continuous fire, not fire interrupted by having to actuate the bolt handle or pump the gun. In most cases with a 10/22 you don't even loose the sight picture between shots! Finally no other bolt, pump or semi-auto 22 rifle has the number of after market parts for it that the Ruger is offered.

Sometimes practical out ways economical and pride of personal workmanship can not be bought.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  12. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

very well said. if you want to buy a rimfire to customize to make it your own and to make you happy and to have lots of fun with and hunt small varmints in the woods with then the 10/22 is the only gun to pick. if you want a rimfire than can reach out and touch a soda can at 300 yards then you need to get a really good bolt action. but why would you do that for any other reason than competition? if you need an accurate gun to hit a target at long range then you really need something with more kick than a rimfire anyway. IMHO if you are getting a .22 then the 10/22 is the only choice unless you stumble across one heck of a deal on something else that you just cant pass up like i do on so many occasions....

to the OP. that is a very nice 10/22. i love the stock but my only question is this. what happened to the bi-pod?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Its called time...he will learn. I have been at it for 25 years. Made good choices and bad ones. Give him time and welcome aboard.:D
  14. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

One of the best parts about the 10/22 is the "build" aspect of them. It's fun and, I guess, rewarding for the owner when it's completed. One can certainly spend a lot of money on one making it just as they want. Of course with each individual, their wants are different. Not everyone will go for the best performance. They'll go with what they want, could be performance, could be looks, etc. Now I wouldn't have gone the direction Rainbow did nor use some of the parts he did but it's his. Could've likely shopped around and spent less and likely have gotten a better parts here or there and spent less. In the end though, he has what he wants and he did it all himself - Kudos! I've built up a bunch of these little buggers, currently have 14 in the rack with more in the waiting room. Modifications are from very mild (minimal internals) to having everything but the receiver changed - $50 to $1200. None are probably what anyone else would do. Doesn't make any of them wrong. They're mine and as I want them.
    I applaud Rainbow for his build. First and foremost, for working to earn the money to do it himself and not just settling on a stock one. Makes it doubly rewarding having earned the money and assembled it himself. Hopefully it opens the door to more builds. Well done!
  15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Blkhawk,
    I agree. Nothing matters here except that a young man took the time and personal initiative to build a beautiful weapon. And with his own hard earned money. There's plenty of time to explore all those other options as he gains experience. That is a great little weapon. He will remember it his entire life. I hope the responses didn't discourage him. Hell, at 16 ,I was building fake ID's to buy beer!