98K accuracy problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by J. McKinley, Aug 21, 2009.

1. J. McKinley

J. McKinley New Member

I have an accuracy problem with a '39 mfg. Saur & son. The rifle is in excellent condition in and out and does not appear ,to my eye, to have been altered. The rifle shoots about 6 to 7 inches left and about 10 inches high at 100 yards. Now I know that the Germans did not allow a firearm to be fielded with this atrocious accuracy. Sooo- what are the possible or most likely problem areas? I can't shoot it this way and I don't want to adulterize it with the addition of a scope.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sights knocked out of alignment? Can't think of any other reason.
  3. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Move the front site to the right or the rear sight to the left to make it shoot to the right. Move the rear sight up to make it shoot down.
  4. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

The sights on my Swedish Mauser are set up from the factory for 300 meters. They sell a taller front sight blade to zero in for a typical 100 yard suburban shooting range. My first instinct would be that your 98K Mauser may be set up the same way. I believe that 308 might be mixed up on moving the rear sight. After confusing the crap out of myself a few times, I finally wrote it down. You'll want to move your rear sight to the right to move you group to the right and move it to the left to move your group left. Good luck!
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

As above, it's almost certainly sights. Another thing to check may be the muzzle. Look to see if there is any damage to whats called the crown, especially to one side. Damage there can throw a bullet.

Also, whats the group like size wise? Consistent and small? If its big, also check the condition of the bore.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

You could be correct on that I do get it mixed up sometimes. I always find out when I go and shoot.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For the REAR sight: move the sight the SAME direction as you want to move the bullet on the target.

For the FRONT sight it is the opposite: move the sight the OPPOSITE way you want to move the bullet on the target.

I rarely move the front sight once the gun is zeroed so I only have to remember to move the rear sight the way I want the bullet to move.

LDBennett