99% nr. id. Artillery Luger

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tormod, Jan 30, 2011.

1. tormod

tormod New Member

Dear all,
    i have a little question: A friend of my have a Luger as described in his possesion. The problem is the tiny part at the rear sigth who has another nr. as the rest. What would you Gentlemen do in a situation like that?

Mest regards
    T.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Nothing.

Seeing a picture would help, but even if that part is a replacement, trying to obtain the correct numbered part would be pretty hopeless because of the scarcity of those pistols. Trying to alter the number would be a mistake; mismatched parts are a fact of life to collectors, but any alteration casts doubt on, and devalues, the whole gun.

Jim
  3. tormod

tormod New Member

Thanks, I'll add a photo. The Luger is as far i can see "untouched" and in shape 1 "very good" to exellent (no rust at all).

Attached Files:

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

After WWI, quite a few of those pistols were rebuilt for commercial sale. Broken or damaged parts were replaced. Your gun might be one of those; if so and if it was commercially imported into the US, the word "GERMANY" should be stamped on it.

Jim
  5. tormod

tormod New Member

Many thanks Jim,
    No, this one have never been in the States (no GERMANY stamps), it was auctioned in London in the early 80s. Now it is in the northern part of Europe. Besides, it has a funny "a" at the barrel, almost like the @, and also at the grip the code for the unit it was (probably) set up to arm and protect. The holster is there in shape 1- (imo), and the screwdriwer with a funny eagel on it (cant really read the numbers with 100% certiness without a bineacolus, and there are no swastica to see). There are also a leather strip of apx 35 cm. length in mid condition. The pistol was tested in 1988, after that it has not seen live ammo.

Again, thanks for answering Jim,
    T.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It looks like a great old Luger. The unmatching back sight is not a great problem, and I would not do anything about it.

It may be possible to look up the unit marking and obtain some history on that unit.