1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

9mm 128 grain LRN bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, May 25, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Quick question. I have some 128 grain LRN bullets that I want to load in 9mm. My reloading books do not have a load for that weight. Would it be safe to load using the 124 grain data or do I use a heavier bullet? Does anyone have load data for this bullet? Thank you!
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Someone should come along in a few with a recipe for your 128gr bullets. I don't have anything in my manuals for that bullet. I would recomend though, that in the future you find load data in your reloading manual that will give you the load you want. Then buy that bullet and you already have the recipe.
  3. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Carver, I'm doing that now (buying bullets for loads that have data for them) but I got these bullets years ago and just now found them. Most likely bought 6-10 years ago.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My old notes show 3.5 gr of VV N320 working in my brothers Ruger P94. Don't know what you are shooting but it would be a good place to start, just go down a grain and work your way up till you get one that works for your gun.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd just use 124 data. I've got a Lee mould. Says it throws a 124 TC. If I use the exact same alloy Lee used, then it should throw 124s. If I use a little more lead in my mix, it might throw 126. Do I then throw them all away because I don't have any 126 data? That's idiotic. Four grains? 3%?
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Not shure if you would want to try this but i have done this in the past. It worked out for me. I would take the starting GRs. for the powder you are using for the 124 gr bullet and the starting for the 130 gr. bullet and just split the diffrence

EXAMPLE ONLY!!!! This is not actual data!!!
    lets say that you are running brand X for your powder.

124Gr bullet is 6.0 Starting
    130Gr bullet is 4.0 Starting

So by splitting you would have 5.0 Gr.

Like i said this would be up to you if you would want to try it.
    I would only load 2-5 rds. Work it from there and keep a log.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  7. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Your other "always safe option" is to move up to the next heaviest lead bullet in your manual (probably 135) and use that data. From that start load you can slowly increase your powder charge until you get whatever performance you are trying to achieve.

FWIW, I see Lyman loads for a 130 gr. (in one book/one caliber) that should fill the bill nicely, too.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally would use the data for the next heaviest lead bullet.

128s huh. thats an old .38 super cast boolit weight. Good shootn bullets.