9mm, .40 or .45

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanpcif, Apr 12, 2004.

1. seanpcif

seanpcif New Member

I now have a bersa 380 that I enjoy to shoot alot.
    But, went to my first pistol match and was pretty much out gunned. They base on IDPA rules,but don't really classify different classes of guns. Anyway the cof is set up for a 38 or better gun.

I want to purchase a more powerfull gun,both for competition (IDPA, USPSA, etc) and for a possible ccw.

I went this past weekend and shot a glock 36 and really enjoyed that. My questions I guess are

Is a 9mm more powerfull than a 38?
    If I go with a .45 should I stick with the full size 1911 or go with the sub compact/compact for ccw use?
    Which caliber would I get more bang for my buck? (meaning I want to shoot alot about 500 rounds per week at the most cost effecient, but at the same time have the power to compete in matches and have a reliable carry gun)

I really liked the glock 36 but, in the future if I want to reload, this gun wouldn't work.

Should I purchase a full size 1911 or go possibly for a charles daly ecs? Would a s&w be better? or maybe a Kimber.

Should I go with a 9mm or a .40 because of recoil.

Would really appreciate some of your input.

2. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

All around, the 9mm is great. I like the .45, but try them all. I would say stay away from charles daly, they aren't nearly as nice as a kimber, Springfield, or Wilson if you got the cash. For carry, a champion, or commander size would be great. I have a kimber target that wouldnt carry well, but is awsome for compitition. the .40 is more expensive to get ammo. ( twice as much as 9mm ) So my suggestion would be a Springfield or Kimber in either 9mm or .45. A full size would have less recoil because of the weight, but also would carry heavier. Personally, I dont like Glock, But they are a good gun for the money, and if it works well for you, get it. Para-Ordnance will be coming out with a 9mm full size lite-weight single stack in july, If you want to hang out, that thing should be nice.
    For comp. and target plinking, a 9mm is great. Cheap ammo, less recoil, It just isn't a .45 ( My personal favorite). But again, get what you can hit with. Shoot them all. Hang out at a local range, if someone is shooting something you like, ask if you can shoot a few through it, most folks love to let you play with their toys.
    as for the power question, this is a good site

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/VIIE8.html

--Beagle
  3. Greg

Greg New Member

Personally, I like the .45. Personally, I would not get the CD. Personally, I prefer a series 70 design, and a forged frame and slide. What 1911 to get is an issue in itself. Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, STI/SVI, and Dan Wesson come to my mind, but there are others, and the new SW 1911 isn't bad.

A P+ load in the 9mm is not a bad defensive load.

You could almost get another gun, but if you go with the Glock, you can get a different barrel, and a different magazine, and shoot either the 9mm or the .40 by changing them out. You would probably need a different spring weight also. This would probably run you an extra $200.00 unless you can find a used barrel for sale somewhere. That way you shoot with the 9mm, but use the .40 set up for defense. However, like I said, with the P+ load, the 9mm isn't a bad defensive load, and spending the extra money might not be worth it.

I don't know why you stated you couldn't use reloaded ammo if you get the Glock. All manufactures state they won't honor their warranty unless you use factory ammo. With the Glock you could use reload, but avoid using lead. You would be better off using a jacketed bullet with the twist used in the Glock barrel. That, or you can get a match grade barrel for the Glock (ie. Barstow) that uses standard twist in the barrel, and then use lead. It is dirtier, and a little bit more work to clean well.

If you want to stay with just the 9mm (and get a Glock), and do target shooting and competion, I guess I would recommend getting a Barstow SS match barrel (then you can also use lead if you want too), and it will be more accurate. You can change the trigger pull from a 5 pound to a 3.5 pound rather easily. Lastly, if you do get the Glock, and do use it for personal defense (maybe P+ load), I would recommend that you also buy the SAFE-T-BLOK. This is a device that easily snaps in place behind the trigger, and will not allow the trigger to be pulled by accident. It is great for carry (especially if you don't use a holster). When you go to shoot, you just easily pop it out with your trigger finger, and your ready to fire away. In time, it would be good to replace the Glock mag springs with Wolff brand mag springs. An extended slide release and magazine release is good for competition, but I would not recommend installing them if you plan to use the gun for defense as they can hang up on holsters or clothing.

P.S. - If you like the Glocks, you may want to check out the Springfield XD. It is as much gun, less expensive, safer in design, has been getting good reviews, and oh yes, it is sold by a U.S. company with a good warranty.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  4. Knuckle_Dragger

Knuckle_Dragger New Member

The folowing information was taken from the 2002 Guns & Ammo Annual article titled "Top 10 Self Defense Loads" by Cpl. Ed Sanow.....

Load.......................................................................One shot stop%
    Federal .40 S&W 155 grain Hydra-Shok.......................................97
    Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP............................................96
    Federal .45 ACP 230 grain Hdra-Shok..........................................96
    Remington .45 ACP 185 grain Golden Saber +P...........................95
    ANY 9mm 115 grain JHP with a muzzle velocity over 1260fps....90-93
    Triton & Corbon .40 S&W 135 grain JHP.......................................92
    Winchester .44 Magnum 210 grain Slivertip................................91
    Triton .357 SIG 125 grain Rainier JHP*.........................................91
    Winchester .41 Magnum 175 grain Silvertip.................................90
    Federal .40 S&W 180 grain Hydra-Shok.......................................90

* based on perfomance in ordnance gelatin

With the exception of the .357 SIG, all of these numbers are based on real police shootings. As you can see, the .40 S&W is just Barely the top load. Factor in it's reduced recoil compared to a .45 and you can really start to appreciate it. It also, however is a pricey round- about $19 for 20 rounds. Target ammo is about $9 for 50.

I agree with Greg's suggestion of getting a Glock and changing barrels depending on the situation. Use 9mm for target/ competition shooting and then use the .40 for self defense. If you purchase a Glock 23 (.40) you simply have to change barrels. Same springs and magazines work for both rounds.
  5. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Yes, two of each caliber should be sufficient for your primary armory, but skip the .40, All you need is 9mm and 45.

9mm.

Taurus Millenium P111 2x
    Kel Tec P11 1x
    Ruger P95 1x

Springfield Armory .45 x2

6 total.
    You want to start with a Taurus P111 9mm and then a KelTec P11 as a backup to it, and then you want a Kel Tec P32 as a backup to the backup.
  6. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

Why do you need a backup for your backup? I have a P95 and a series 70. I think by then I do not need a backup. Just my opinion, Don.
  7. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

Oh come on now! Everyone needs a backup for their backup! What would plan C do if A and B failed? :p

Semper Fi

JM
  8. dcon12

My plan c is followed by a plan d which would have something to do cleaning the BVD's. Don:)
  9. Remington597

A triad defense approach with three firearms is necessary in the event one is faced with multiple assailants.
    A minimum .32 caliber needs to be employed with a 9mm as a weapon of choice and a .45 a supplement against targets of greater mass. A .32 may also be used to slow down a target that may be intoxicated chemically.
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome dcon12! I knows who ya is...!...Hope ya like TFF, it's the home a'real shooters...Welcome again Don!!!...;)
  11. dcon12

I do not believe I need a plan to "slow" an opponent down. My plan is to stop him. Don
  12. Remington597

Don :
    You mention assailant in the singular. My backup plan takes into account multiple assailants. Opponents of large mass at a distance may require you to empty a full clip. Imagine the attacker a male of 270 lbs on methamphetamine. You may need to empty an entire 9mm clip at 20 yards to slow him down. Multiple clips are a great idea, but in case the firearm jams, you need secondary and firearm(S) plural.
    I was a victim of violent crime once. Emphasis on ONCE!!
  13. dcon12

What you are saying is that we shod "carry" three weapons at all times? The senerio that you are putting forth, would realy only be viable on the home front. Then i belive that I would have heavier fire power than either my 9 or my 38super. I have the fire power in my home to taKE MULTIPLE ASSAILANTS but away from my house, I am not large enough to carry the fire power to contain a long battle with multiple assailents. Don
  14. Remington597

Kel Tec guns are light and highly effective. I would recommend all their pistols, including the P32, P3AT(.380) and the P11.
    The P32 fits snug into an ankle holster. The P11 9mm in to a FOBUS in your jacket and a Taurus P111 9mm for the car. When its too hot out, you can have the P32 in the internal belt line of your pants another P32 in your ankel holster. I always wear jeans and not shorts. This way you have effective detterence against attackers..
    In the car, the passenger/drive divider where I keep my CDs have an effective place for my 9mm. This keeps the triad in place.
    As far as the house. There is enough to defeat any foe, at any range, on multiple levels.
  15. dcon12

You did not metion the car. I have easy access to guns in my vehicle at all time with shells to reload as nessasary. Don
  16. islenos

islenos New Member

"Oh come on now! Everyone needs a backup for their backup! What would plan C do if A and B failed?"

-
    That is what a fixed bayonet is for:D
  17. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I agree with what remmy said in an earlier post.... Skip the 40 !!!

I have never trusted 40's in Glocks or in any other brand pistol either....
    They have a rep for not cycling relaibly, and I guess alot of the GKB problems are in 40 as well.....

9mm is utterly reliable in Glocks and alot of other brand pistols as well.
    The 45 is best for defense....and I do like Glocks G21 45, but next time I'm leaning towards a Sig P220 45....Out of the box relaibility, accuracy, and very easy to shoot bullseyes...out of the box!!! I previously owned 2 P220's....had to sell because I was very ill and needed the money.....

As far as the shorter stubbier 1911's....Personally I'd avoid them. I had a Colt series 80 officers model that just wrecked me on 1911 for years. It was 15 years before i even considered a 1911 again......
    I love Glocks, but Nobody should start with their first Glock as a mini anything. The Glock trigger is alien to some folks, and takes a while to learn. It Is worthwhile once learned.....
    If you go Glock....get a midsized "19" or a full sized "17" to start with...
    Too many first time Glock owners get the mini Glock 45, which is a handfull, and then get burnt out on Glock......

Thats my opinion anyway

GN
  18. seanpcif

seanpcif New Member

many thanks for all your input

basically, I just need something better than a 38 for competition,(as the cof is set up for a 38 or better)

Like I said,last wknd I tried a glock 36 and absolutely loved it, but this wknd I am going to try a glock 19 and see if I enjoy it as much.

I am leaning towards a 9mm only because it is cheaper to shoot.
    But I am considering a 1911 and than buy a conversion for the 22.

What do you think of this?

Thanks
  19. Country101

Country101 Active Member

You may need to learn to shoot... Takes 2 at center mass and 1 to the head. :D Textbook kill. Ya do that, I dont think there's much chance of ANYBODY comin at ya for more than a stager or a fall.

Sean, I'd go with the .45 full size version. I'm not partial to 9mm, but they are cheap to shoot and have decent stopping power. Dont know if they are stronger than a .38. I dont like the compacts either. I was shown a Kimber Custom Carry. It was smaller lengthwise, but it was thicker because of a double stacked magazine. Personally I'd like the slimmer of the two. Get whatever makes ya happy. Either a 9 or .45 oughta be good, so it's basically your preferance. I dont know anything about conversion kits, so I cant help ya there.
  20. kravi

kravi New Member

I think that's not a bad idea. The 1911 with the conversion kit. It will let you shoot lots and lots of cheap ammo, but still keep you comfortable with the "build and feel" of your 1911. Also helps you work on your form without recoil. Usefulll.

I also like the glock, and the 9mm (especially if you are used to a 45ACP) is also a nice light cartrige.

If you want something very powerful and very accurate, you might want to go for 10mm. The glock has a 10mm variant, I think. It is expensive, though. Not many people seem to like the 10mm like I do :-(

-Kravi