9mm, .40 or .45

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanpcif, Apr 12, 2004.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Kravi wrote:
    I have had both the Colt Ace .22 and a Colt conversion unit for my Randall. Both with floating chambers. The recoil is almost the same as a .45 you still have the mass of the slide and barrel recoiling together. Just cheaper to shoot.
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Country101:
    I appreciate the tip, but after thousands of hours at ranges and competitions, my marksmanship is not at question.
    Heading off multiple attackers at 25 yards is a challenge for even the best marksman, therefore it is prudent to have multiple firearms and side clips as well for the most effective defense.
  3. rnshooter

rnshooter New Member

i would have to agree with knuckle dragger...i like the .40. i have two .40's and both have been wonderful shooters with 100% reliability. both guns are beretta's. i have not shot any other .40's, but both of mine work flawlessly. i also agree with country...one nice shot to the head or two to the chest should stop most anybody, regardless of caliber.

just my .02

be safe
  4. Greg

Greg New Member

Ah yes, C101, the good 'ole Mozambique (Israeli Failure Drill). Not too many people wearing 50 layers of Kevlar over their face. This is a great way to practice (1,2,3...1,2,3). At least double tap 'em as a regular way to practice. However, if you shoot more than 2 or 3 times, the use of force will be brought into question, but you will still be alive.

Rem, if you've got that many coming at ya, maybe go with a slinged, pistol gripped Streetsweeper, with a drum loaded with 000 Buck!

Sean, it's up to you bud. Any of the things mentioned will be fine for you as long as you are comfortable and accurate (and practice!) with what you pick. I have used the .22 conversion on 1911's and they are nice. There are .22 conversion kits for the Glocks that are nice as well. Either will run you about $200.00, plus more for extra mags.

Remember, the Glock .40 was made as standard issue to the FBI, so it must be pretty good. However, recently, the FBI went with the 1911-A1 .45 ACP Springfield FBI model (sweet gun, but should be at 2 grand a pop!) for their special groups. I wonder why that is? My guess is, if they could afford it, and train everyone well enough, it would be issued for all of the FBI.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  5. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

If the .40 had a "rep" for not cycling reliably, I doubt hundreds (maybe thousands) of police departments would be using them as their standard issure duty weapons, along with the FBI and many other law enforcement agencies. A majority of them are using Glocks, with SIG and Beretta plentiful also. I've got 4 .40s, (Browning, Glock, Kahr, and Walther) and they've all been stone cold reliable, or I wouldn't own them. Never 1, that's no, failures to chamber or extract a round in the years I've been using the .40. My 9mms have had the same reliability, along with 1 of my 2 .45s. (The 1911 gets a little finicky every now and then, just when I think maybe it's had it's last hiccup).
    Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest,
    9,.40, or .45, they'll all do the job with decent bullet placement, and none of them will do it with poor placement. The 9mm is a pleasure to shoot, and for sure is the most economical way to go if you're paying for your own ammunition. Personally, I couldn't stand not to have at least one of each.