9mm Browning HP FN Belgium

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nopain, Apr 12, 2011.

1. nopain

nopain New Member

my father recently gave me a 9mm Herstal Belgique, serial #45711 has 2 matchings mags and holster,,,can anyone tell me what year and what the value is...i think it was manufactured around 1936...i have looked many places with no luck..thank you
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Is there an eagle and the number 613 on the slide or frame?

Jim
  3. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Given the fact that your gun has 2 matching mags(I assume that you mean that they are serialized to the gun), I would take a guess that this is a post war german police contract gun, which is probably LPN marked on the front grip strap and does NOT have an adjustable rear sight. Made, in the 1945-1950 period.The holster is probably black hardshell type.
    If the gun has an adjustable rear sight, then it could be a prewar Belgian army gun, or an early Eagle/WaW613 marked Nazi gun(as Jim is considering) pulled from existing Belgian inventory following the takeover of the factory be the Germans.. but I would doubt that that is the case, as these never had serialized mags and were mainly in the serial range under 45000...
    Pictures would be helpful for a definitive identification.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. nopain

nopain New Member

no eagle or 613...
    seems like valbehaveds first part sounds about right..
    thank you..
  5. nopain

nopain New Member

your first part reads correct, the 2 mags and the holster are serialized to the gun...i didnt see an LPN, but above the strap there is a capitol letter G w/ the letters (eco) inside the G? and there is no adjustable sight
  6. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Now, that is interesting...
    It does sound like a post-war police gun,but the Geco marking is a retailer marking(Genschow and Co) and I have not seen it on the post-war Hi-powers...Geco was a large retailer in Germany, very similar to Stoeger in US and sometimes marked the guns that they sold...
    I wonder if the gun was sold commercially by Geco after it became surplused by the German Police...
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Looks like Geco bought and distributed some of these surplus police pistols in Europe. Interesting variation.
  8. nopain

nopain New Member

after further review with a magnifing glass, there are 2 markings with Geco, one is at the top of the trigger guard and the other is on the front middle of the holster, at the lower section of the front grip there looks to be a capitol H. as i am not much of a collector i will be looking to trade or sell ?
  9. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Can you post pictures?
    I sent you a Private message...
  10. nopain

nopain New Member

Here are a few pics... thanks to all for your info...

IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg