1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

9mm browning

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by lang, Oct 3, 2009.

1. lang

lang New Member

im new to guns so bear with me. recently i was cleaning out my dads house and i found a browning 9mm, from what i can tell it has herstal belgigue on the slide, an MR on the trigger guard, a small eagle above the trigger and i think on the end of the barrel, rear adjustible sights, the inside of the handle is red for some reason and has a 5 digit number stamped on the barrel, slide, and above the trigger. if anyone can narrow this down it would be a great help. if it matters my dad was stationed in germany in the late 50's and early 60's.
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well its hard to be sure without some clear pictures, but for my money you may have a quite rare and valuable Browning Hi Power made in the early days of German occupation. You need to have a close look at those eagles and see if they have swastikas underneath.

Reason is the eagles suggest German occupation of the factory. The tangent rear sights were abandoned as soon as parts ran out, so if German it will be early. Original WW2 wood grips produced at the time had red paint on the inside.

Let me be clear, without good pictures I cant be sure, just a best guess.
  3. lang

lang New Member

i never looked at it that close before but it DOES have a swastica under the eagle, what does this mean, is this good or bad?
  4. lang

lang New Member

id just like to know some history on the gun if its rare. regaurdless if its worth 100.00 or a 1,000.00 id never sell it cause it was my dads.
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

post some pics will ya
  6. lang

lang New Member

im new to this so i dont know how to post pics, but i have a photobucket account. search: pontiacman_2007
    theres a few pics of the gun there(ignore the car junk). the emblems are so small i cant get a good pic of it(too much glare with the flash)
  7. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

just click the go advanced and upload from your computer.
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Excuse me lang, but I saw your pictures and took the liberty to post them.
    It is, indeed a Hi-Power. Real Nice!

Attached Files:

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They could be sharper. Cell phone camera?
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

What a great find! Congrats!Dont sell it but dont be afraid of firing it, have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing first. Have fun and be safe!
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Great gun, Lang. ;) :)
    Sounds like an old WWII German military early issue Hi-Power. Hold on to this one. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Art
  12. lang

lang New Member

thanks all for the help. i took those with a kodak digital last night ill see if my wife can take a better one(shes the picture taker)and see if she can get all the little markings on it.
    i bought a magnifing glass today and it also has two small triangles on it and a 3/ on the end of the barrel
    is this gun really that rare? is there any way to narrow it down to see who it was issued to?
    but again thanks to all for your input.
  13. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Think of it this way......you've got a handgun used by both sides in the ETO. When the Germans captured Belgium they let F.N. Herstaal continue production, but had them roll engrave German markings on the product. Regardless, its still a product of the fertile mind of J.M. Browning.....And one hell of a good shooter to boot !! Hang on to it !! >MW
  14. artabr

artabr New Member

Lang, here's a pretty good article about the Browning /FN Hi-Power. Your gun is not really all that rare, over 300,000 Hi-Power pistols of all types were used by the Germans in WWII, but it is a sought after item by collectors and Hi-Power fans / nuts such as myself.
    It's a great gun that, if mechanically sound, I would not be afraid to shoot.
    I would not worry about decreasing its value by shooting it.
    As a very very rough guess I'd place the value of your dads pistol at between $700 to $1500 dollars. I'm sure that you, like me, would place the value as priceless being that it was your pops pistol. :)

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/browning_hi_power/

Art
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

If its of interest there were about 10,000 of this type, with the tangent sight made 1940/41. The Germans called them the Pistol 640(b). As soon as stocks ran out the Germans abandoned the adjustable sight and the magazine safety. Also the early ones had a straight serial number, digits only. Later ones went to series a and b. These have a number with a little letter at the end. The early ones were well finished, but the standard went down as the war progressed.

I cant give a value for the US, Arts seems fair, but they are very much desired by collectors worldwide ($2000.00+ not unusual for a good one).
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009