9mm defensive ammo

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pistolenschutze, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I would like to get a consensus from the members on what is the best 9mm round available for use in a carry pistol. As you all know, there are a lot of 9mm loadings out there, most of which claim to be the "best." I would like to know what bullet weight, bullet design, and whether +P or standard pressure you all most favor when, and if, you carry a 9mm pistol for self-defense. Let us assume for the sake of this discussion that two basic pistol designs are under consideration, i.e., a standard size pistol, such as the Browning Hi Power or Glock 17, and a compact or sub-compact pistol like, for example, the Glock 26 or Sig P239.

To start off the discussion, I normally carry the Corbon 115 grain +P hollow point in my Glock 26. What say the rest of you?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Dang near all my guns are loaded with Winchester Silver-Tips weather it's my 380 or one of my 45's. For 9mm if you don't like Winchester, I would try the Federal Tactical +P+ it is supposed to be some good stuff
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I cant make any actual suggestions, being unaware of whats available in the the US today. However when carrying 9mm p I always tried to get the weight up, sometimes to 124gn or so. It does change the ballistics but for defense distances thats not really and issue.

I would also not be convinced with a light bullet of 115gn of the advantage of + P. After all if one is only increasing the velocity of an already fast, light projectile the gain will more likely be in penetration, which is not always beneficial in close up defense.

I always erred towards heavy and slow over light and fast. But 'you makes your choice and take your chances'. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

One more thing, mixing ammunition of different types in the magazine. I know this is not popular with everyone but I was shown by people who know what they are doing and I did it myself.

The mix is up to the shooter, but I would go with maybe three HP atop of three or so ball, with HP for the rest. That way if the HPs fail to do the trick the ball might. This might be an issue for example if some shots need to go through a door.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

Pistol, I'm a big fan of CorBon's 124 grain 9 mm load. I also like Winchester's Ranger L/E loads.
    I carry the Win. Ranger 230 grain load in my 1911. These are the
    EVIL Black Talons recolored and renamed, more P.C. don't you know. :D

Anyhow, this data is old, 1996-1998 but some of it is still relevant and may help someone out.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

Art
  7. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

CorBon's 124 grain, or Hidra-Shoks same weight
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

for some excellent info on various ammo and stopping power check out www.mouseguns.com click on the defense ammo posting
  9. That thought has occurred to me as well, Tranter. I've never been really comfortable with a 115 grain bullet loading in the 9mm. It always seemed too light to me, though the statistics seem to say nice things about it. Actually, the reason for this post in the first place was to get some input such as yours. Thanks. And thinks to all of you for your well-thought out and intelligent input as well. I am seriously considering switching my load to the 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dot. From the reading I've done, it seems most police departments that still use the 9mm as an issue weapon have gone to the 124 grain loading rather than the 115, and by far the most common one is the Speer Gold Dot.
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ok well I have to point out that checking my notes from some years ago, of half a dozen makes and weights of commercial 9mm p the most effective in use, thats actual shootings not gelatin, was a Remington 115gn JHP +P+ running a MV 1300fps. Go figure!

I still err towards more weight, but I guess those hot 115gn HPs are no slouches.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  11. pawn

pawn Active Member

gold dot or hornady TAP hollow point 124 grain. i keep hearing good things about corbon- need to give em a look
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Federal Hydra-Shoks, currently I only stack magazines (13+1 of HP, magazine of 10 FMJ) but will be stacking each magazine soon.
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I carry the Silvertips ONLY in my short-barreled Kel-Tec P3AT. I am under the impression that higher velocities cause the soft material in the Silvertip ammo to fragment easily and therefore create a smaller wound cavity. :confused:
  14. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

15. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Never had a problem with +P rounds until I tried firing one (hollow point, I think- was some years back) in my second hand (made in Belgium) Browning 9mm Hi Power, and it jammed immediately. I still have a box (49) of 9mm hollow points. Bottom line, it did not feed onto the firing chamber.

I've fired this piece many times since, using the universallly available 9mm round nosed, copper coated lead. No problem.

Could be a problem with the pistol; maybe needs a new (stronger) slide spring? I don't know; I just don't try shooting HP plus ammo anymore. And I am stuck with a box. Somewhere, here. Bang, Bang! :D