9mm handgun suggestions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rizyan, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rizyan

Rizyan New Member

I’m looking for a 9mm firearm for home defense, CCW and occasional shooting at the range.

I’d like to keep it under $500, but ultimately want a quality firearm that will last. I prefer a full-size but I am concerned about comfort with CCW. Suggestions?

Ps- I've only owned a Walther p22 before.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I have a Ruger LC9 on order - $350 out the door. I have not fired one yet but have read many opinions and watched You Tube videos about it. It is a compact gun and light weight. It is not what I would call a full-house combat weapon but it should be easy to conceal without being so small that it is hard to handle or control.
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Glock 19 - carryable and great for home ($499 or so) 10+1

Keltec PF9 - (under $300) - small, light, easy to conceal, holds 7+1
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Rixyan, there are good numerous choices out there and many great pistols that fit your requirements. I suggest you find a gun shop/shooting range that will let you rent and fire some of the pistols that "feel good" to you. I have three 9mm pistols, a S&W 5906, a S&W 669, but the one I would go to first is a Glock 19. A friend swears buy his Sig 226 while another likes his Ruger SR9 so you can see personal preference plays a big part in the decision. I have two good friends that also have selected the Glock 19 as their primary pistol. Here are a couple pictures of a recent get together of three old farts and their Glock 19's.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. Tom

Tom Member

The CZ-75 and SIG 226 have gotten my vote. Others like the Glocks, HKs and others.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

(deleted)
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

I like the Beretta 92FS and its little brother the 92FS Compact. I own a compact and is a great gun in my opinion, 13 + 1 capacity and can be a CCW and great at the range also. Not a better looking 9mm out there IMO, and built to last a lifetime. If you can find one, they usually run $450 & up, and I think Bud's has one new in the box.....but don't know the price. Lots of choices out there, good luck in your search..
  8. savage170

savage170 Member

I like every one of these but for everyday carry I still reach for the old Ruger P95 reasonably priced it has never failed to go bang and if it should ever be needed it won't break my heart if it sets in a police evidence room for awhile. Plus it was my first 9mm

[​IMG]
  9. Rizyan

Rizyan New Member

Thank you for the feedback.

After talking with a co-worker yesterday, I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR9. I'm just trying to decide if i want the full or compact. I'm probably going to go check them out at Academy today.
  10. todd51

Rizyan, I don't know for a fact but I have heard from several sources that the trigger pull is much better on the SR9C than it is on the SR9. Try them if you can before you take the plunge. One of the Old Guys has an SR9 and he likes every thing about it but the trigger pull. It is heavy with some creep but it is improving as more rounds go through the gun.
  11. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

You initially stated that you are looking for a home defense/range gun. You will be better served by a full size gun for those purposes. If you are considering some sort of concealed carry then the compacts come into play. Having said that there are many fine weapons to choose from.

What I like may not fit your hand the same, etc., so I will refrain from pushing my opinion on brands. You need to determine whether you like striker fired or hammer fired guns. There are pro's and con's to each but both are excellent choices.

You have to know whether you want a magazine safety or not (gun will not fire if magazine is inadvertently dropped which does happen). There are ways to disable this function but I do not want to explain my modifying a gun in court after I have had the unfortunate call to discharge it at someone. You have to make sure that the gun fits your hand.

If you cannot reach the trigger without rotating your hand when the gun is placed properly in the web of your hand, then the gun does not fit you well and you probably will not shoot it as good as you should.

You have to determine whether you want a double action only, a single action only, or a DA/SA action. Double action may point you to a revolver as the best choice instead of a semiautomatic. Some guns even offer a "strike two" capability in case you find a hard primer and hear a click instead of a bang. For some people this is the preferred choice before having to do the tap rack drill.

Then there is the steel vs. polymer process and you probably will get more back and forth on this than anything. A heavier steel gun tends to be more easy on the hand as the more mass usually absorbs more energy than do the lighter polymers. I have both kinds and like them both for what they are. If you are going to do a lot of range shooting, you may find that steel is more comfortable. For home defense, you probably are only looking at a few shots having to be taken so it is not an issue. Only you can determine this by shooting. If you have a range that rents guns, go shoot some of your choices and see what you like better. Pursue your option and practice with it often (even dry firing which is less expensive and works on your motor skills) and enjoy!!

Oh yea, there are no perfect guns. All brands have issues from time to time so when you purchase your new gun make sure that the customer service has a good reputation. I personally do look at warranties as to me these mean something. I am not fond of spending a lot of my money for a 1 year warranty. But that is me.
  12. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

The Ruger is a good choice.
  13. armoredman

armoredman New Member

14. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

and it's made in the USA. I got the wife a Ruger P95 for Christmas and it's working great. It's a little on the big side but not too big. It also allows SA. I paid $331. She's fired 200 rounds so far without a hiccup.
  15. todd51

Dang, that CZ is a good looking pistol.