9mm LArgo Destroyer anyone shoot one?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jboy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jboy

Jboy Member

Have one on the way and wondering what loads have been successful. Other comments and suggestions also welcome. Planning on using 9 Luger dies set to reload as the Largo dies are really expensive.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In spite of endless repetition of nonsense, 9mm Largo guns were made for 9mm Largo, not 9mm Luger or any other "sort of about maybe" round. The 9mm Luger may or may not work in that Destroyer. The 9mm Largo is a straight case, while the 9mm Luger is a tapered case, making a difference in loading both the chamber and loading dies.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Since it is rimless it also head space's on the front of the cartridge, not the rim, the shorter cartridge will not head space correctly. Will it hurt anything to use a 9X19 MM ? don't know, the extractor may hold it firmly enough to fire, try it and let us know how it works.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. Jboy

Jboy Member

Perhaps we had a misunderstanding. I intend to buy 9 Largo cases made by Starline. To reload I am wondering if a 9mm Luger set of dies would work or perhaps a 38 Super set as the 9 Largo dies are special order and about $160 + shipping.

Others have shot the 9mm Luger and 38 Auto out of Destroyers, but it doesn't sound like a healthy idea to me especially as Largo brass is easily available. Mostly looking for loads that others like and any experience using Luger or 38 Super dies to reload 9mm Largo.

Thanks for the concern and interest.

J
  5. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I have owned the pistols in 9mm largo for many years but i shot my first one lastweek. I like the 9mm largo round its got some bark to it.

I been purchasing the spanish 9mm largo ammo as much as i can but its getting more expensive and starting to dry up but there are still some honey holes were tyo get it at affordable prices. Century arms still has it on sale this month for 1,000rds for $130. Thats the cheapest i have seen it so far. Yup i need the dies and brass too. Bill

Do not shoot the 380acp, the 9mm luger or the 38 super out of the 9mm largo. With the shorter rounds the extractor is holding the rim of the case when its fired. Its not headspacing on the front of the case the way it should be. You will break an extractor sooner or later. These parts are also getting harder to find too. I only shoot the 9mm largo ammo. Since getting the parts is slim to none i'm not gambling on this one at all.

I do have a LLama Extra pistol (full size 1911 clone) thats shoots 9mm largo and 38acp. its stamped on the gun it shoots both rounds from the manufacturer.

One thought could be to use the 38super case with the 9mm largo load? Then we can use the 38super dies too. I'll have to check on that if it can be done.

Wikipedia has all the info;

9mm largo bullet .355'' diameter.....brass 23mm.....rim dia .406''...OAL...34mm length of a loaded round.
    38 super bullet .355" diameter.....brass 22.86mm.rim dia .392'' .OAL...32.51mm
    9x23 win/super..Bullet .356" ..........Brass 22.9mm...rim dia .394'' OAL N/A

can we use the 38 super dies set with the largo shell holder w/ 9mm largo brass??
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The .38 ACP/Super case is semi-rimmed. It might or might not work in a gun made for 9mm Largo, depending on the breech face and the extractor. You can also break an extractor trying to get it to snap over the larger rim. The .38 bullet is larger also and the case mouth is larger. They really aren't the same round and it is always best not to improvise unless you have to.

Jim
  7. Jboy

Jboy Member

Big Bill,

I called RCBS and was told the shell holder is the same one as the 9mm Luger. Don't think I want to use surplus ammo as it might be corrosive. The brass is available from Starline in 500 quantities or Starling brass is available from Midway in 100 quantities.

$165 or so for the dies is a bit much and I suspect that a 9mm Luger dies set will eject the primer and seat a bullet. If the brass goes into the same rifle as it was previously shot out of I don't think there is a need necessarily to full length resize it. If I can get away with using 9mm Luger dies it is another 160+ dollars remaining in my pocket.

The intent here is to load up 9 Largo Starline brass to Largo specs and try to use a Luger die set to eject the primer and seat a new 9mm bullet.

We shall see how that works prior to spending the $ on a Largo die set. Best I know parts for the Destroyer are about as common as hens' teeth.

I have a nice one coming and do not want to wreck it or me.