9mm Largo

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by berto64, May 9, 2005.

1. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Does anyone know of a reliable source for this round?

My dealer can find a box of it every once in a while but I would to find someone I can get it from on a regular basis.

I have a number of pieces that use this round and I love shooting them but it's bummer to just get started and run out of ammo.

.38 Super will fit but the mettalurgy in these old things won't take the higher pressures created by that round.

Thanks in advance.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Berto,
    Here is what I found. They appear to be the cheapest military ammo around and look to have good prices. Hope this helps.

IPT

9mm Largo Ammo
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Had any luck lookin at this?
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Berto......never use .38 Super in a 9mm Largo gun. You can use .38 ACP, though (if you can find any).

.38 Super is a sort of "hot rod" version of .38 ACP. However, .38 ACP is getting hard to find. If you plan on shooting a lot, you might want to consider buying some Boxer primed 9mm Largo brass (if you can find some) or some .38 Super brass and doing some handloading.
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

IPT,
    Thanks, looks like them guys will be getting my buzznezz.

XRacer,
    Never planned on the 38 super, just heard it would fit and as I stated in my post, I know better.

Thanks for the all the help from both of you guys. I appreciate it.

Happy shooting!
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Berto, note that the ammo offered is corrosive primed, and arms will have to be cleaned with a water based bore cleaner, after firing, to prevent damage.
    .38 ACP/ .38 Super brass is cheap, available, boxer primed; cast bullets a gentle on a barrel; twice thru the press and handloads of this sort are cheaper than storebought, by far.
    JJ Donnelly's 'Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions' likely will save you major$, if you shoot this type of firearm.
    I shoot a 'Destroyer' carbine, in 9mm Largo, handloads on .38 Super brass, and have for 15 years; had no problems, yet.
    Just a thought or two.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Stash,
    If you go back to that page I listed above, you will notice that the only corrosive ammo is the stuff made from 1961-1966. The rest is non-corrosive.

IPT
  8. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Just late note. CCI carries Largo rounds in a couple different chambering now. A Hollow point and a FMJ version.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I saw a few of the Spanish Largo ammo today in the brown/red striped 25 round boxes at the gun show, on a couple of the ammo tables. And if there ever IS a shortage, it will be because BobinStL is hoarding it. (He had a couple of thousand rounds of that stuff put back when I saw his gun room in 2000 or 2001...)

9mm Largo is (was?) the "hot" round in Spanish IPSC competition, believe it or not! I actually stumbled on an IPSC website from SPAIN translated to English a few years ago, and most of the guys there were shooting Largo, and were sharing loads. From what I read, "practical shooting" is popular there.

I have a few of the same 25 round boxes around here somewhere too, from when I used to own the Astra 400. I kind of keep an eye out for any of the rounds I used to buy or shoot, just by habit....

I've always liked the Largo.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Polish, "Hot" is a time related term. If I had a weapon chambered in 9mm Largo(I have several), I would 'dress' the chamber, with a .38 Super reamer, (And,I have), then load for the gun, using easily available .38 super brass.
    My loads would reflect the relative strength, or weakness, of the action.
    Case in point: My Spanish 'Destroyer' carbine, a bolt actioned police carbine, at origin, would tolerate substantially higher pressures than an Astra Pistol, neither of which is particularly collectible.
    Were it a collectible gun, I'd take the time to cut each .38 Super case, and full length resize, and load as 9mm Largo.
    In the 'Destroyer', modified Colt Mags work, and well!
    Donnely's " Cartridge Conversions for Handloaders" is a wealth of information, and ought to be required reading for a C&R license!
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I meant "hot" as in "popular," stash, not "hot" as in, well, "HOT." :) Sorry! I'll watch my choice of words in the future!

Anyway, the Largo IS hotter than the Parabellum, anyways...and don't let BOBinStL ever hear you badmouth the Destroyer OR the Astras! He had literally DOZENS of each, actually maybe 50 or so of the various Astras, and another 150 other various Eibar pistolas, he was POSESSED! :) :) :) I mean anybody who confesses to DREAMING about Julie Andrews dressed in nothing but a gunbelt and a matching Astra 400 in either hand prancing around the mountains singing "The Hills are alive..." HAS to be eaten UP! :p

He also had about a hundred or so spare Astra and Destroyer mags "hanging around," so he never had to modify any...

While I NEVER understood the idea behind a 7 shot bolt action carbine firing a pistol round, BOB seemed to think it was a pretty good idea! :p Of course, I believe he is the ONLY one who does, besides maybe a couple of old Spanish constables. :p

They do look like fun though, and I wish I bought one when they were cheap. They are getting pretty scarce now.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  12. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Might check Fiocchi. I think I saw that in their list. You can get .30 Mauser through them also. Winchester runs some seasonal loads also; very limited in #; so a smart man would buy a case if he is after Winchester. Last 9 large-o I had was eating PMC if I recall.
  13. lead

lead Active Member

I saw some boxes of the CCI Blaser, aluminum case, hollow points in 9mm Largo last week. Pretty impressive looking rounds. I don't remember the exact price, but I remember thinking it was reasonable.
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The .38 Super has a slightly larger rim diameter than the Largo, so you might have to open up the breech face a little to use Super brass. This is easily done. The later Star Largo pistols can be safely adapted to .38 Super, and are fine, strong guns.
    Bill
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member