9MM largo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Big ugly, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I was goin through the threads here and a question popped up in my mind. Why didnt the 9mm largo take hold here in the US like other Calibers? from what I seen on the balistics of these things it seems it would make a damn good round for handguns.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Isn't it, ballistically, pretty close to a 38 Super? Maybe that's it. Then there's the "it ain't American". I think the only reason the 9mm made it here was because of all the war-trophy guns brought back by soldiers. That's also why 8mm Mauser made it.

If there had been a foreign military pistol in 9mm Largo, that our boys could have brought back, in mass quantities, from "over there", it might have worked.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I posted about a Llama 9mm largo seveal months ago and the gun shop still has it too. I am stil thinking about a purchase but the ammo is too hard to get ahold of.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'd stick with a regular 9mm luger/parabelum. As you say the largo ammo is hard to get & while the largo inches out standard parabelum ammo for energy, the parabelum +P loads have a little more energy than the Largo.
  5. Texxut

Texxut Member

If you reload, Starline brass has the brass, and if you have 9mm Para dies, you can load it. You have to set up the dies a tad different for the Largo, but I've loaded lots of it and it works fine. I don't shoot Largo because it's faster/slower /better/whatever than some other cartridge, I shoot it because I like the Spanish pistols chambered for it.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Star and Astra made some fine pistols for 9mm Largo (Bergman-Bayard) round.

And yes, the dimensions of the Largo is Identical to the 38 Super but the Super is a much hotter rd and the Largo pistols won't take much of it.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member