9MM Load for Women

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by steve4102, Jul 7, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I want to put together a 9mm Load that my wife can handle in my Cougar 8000. She is very recoil sensitive, or at least she thinks she is.

I have 115 and 124gr Jacketed bullets. For powders I have , Unique, Red Dot, 231, Silhouette, 3n37, #7, Blue Dot, #9, #2, WSF, WST, Longshot.

Any recommendations on a soft shooting load that will still cycle the action would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Go with the lightest bullet in your reloading manual, and use the start load, for that bullet, form your reloading manual. That's about as light a load as you can develop.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. RandyP

RandyP Member

I use Win 231/HP-38 with both those bullets weights in a plated RN - anything low-mid range on your data sheet works well with no excessive recoil.

Your aluminum framed pistol will transfer more 'felt' recoil than say a CZ-75, but I can load down to where the casings end up in a pile near my feet if I actually wanted to.

Actually I'd also suggest your wife pick out a nice .22 to learn on rather than the pistol YOU think she should handle? Not a slam but she does not 'think' she is recoil sensitive, she IS recoil sensitive. Start out smaller and let her progress to the centerfires and then let her try a 1911. With practice anyone 'can' successfully shoot just about any firearm, but not if they get P.O.'d or frightened off. And lordie knows if momma ain't happy..........
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

She has a 25 ACP and a 38 Special, she just wanted to shoot the 9mm. She also want to shoot a 380 Auto, but I don't own one.
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

Gotcha, my misunderstanding of the situation. Does she enjoy shooting the .38? I don't find 9mm to be much different in recoil.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Not really. She Thinks maybe a 9mm low recoil semi auto or a 380 might be better.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Steve, this is an easy fix. My wife has the same claims. When you do a load session involve her. Tell her fromt he start you are working on some special reduced recoil loads for her to shoot and keep reinforcing it as you progress thru the process. Just use a normal 9mm load with 115 gr bullet, but keep telling her they are special light loads. Then in secret, load about 5 or 6 124+P loads and keep them in your pocket the day you go to shoot. Let her try the +p 124s first and tell her they are normal 9mm loads. she will shoot them and feel the difference. Then when youre all done shooting and shes enjoyed her special ammo, you may decide if its ok to tell her they were normal 9mm loads.. It worked for my wife. She realized after a day of full power 9s she thought were reduced that her recoil tolerance was all in her head and now Ive made a monster. shes not afraid to shoot my .45s now.
  8. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Recoil is certainly subjective, but my perception has been that 147 gr bullets over WSF start loads have been extremely soft shooting. That's the great thing about reloading; you can experiment and find what works best for your situation. Good luck.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1:yeahthat:
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Agree with JLA, post #7.

I wish I could find a 1948 "American Rifleman' article entitled "Make Mine a Magnum" by Kristen Sergel. It is a good and interesting read.

Mrs Sergel was (from her pictures) a very feminine looking, 5'4", 120 lb., 22-23 year old mother of a 2 year old boy at the time, She married the heir to "The Dramatic Publishing Co." in Chicago and was initially taught to shoot with a .22RF; and, with nothing in between, presented with a Winchester Model 70 Magnum chambered for .375 H & H Magnum. By age 22 she had over 50 kills on large and dangerous game, including the African BIG 5 at least twice. She remarked that she had fired her .375 over 2000 times and that its recoil was like a good friend slapping you on the shoulder and saying "All is well; I'm here with you." Mrs. Sergel remarked that "There is no substitute for power.". That is why the .375 H&H was her favorite hunting rifle for most animals except Cape Buffalo, where she preferred .500 Nitro Express.

The bottom line that is recoil is mostly in a person's head. If you believe that the recoil is going to be unpleasant; it will be. If you do not know any better, it is usually (with a few rare exceptions) just a part of shooting.
  11. Black Cat

Black Cat New Member

A woman can handle anything a man can if she really wants to. My 73 year old wife had never fired a gun and had always said she never would. Out of the blue, a few weeks ago she announced she would like to shoot a hand gun. We went to the range with my 357 Smith. I gave her a break with 38 SP Winchester factory amo. She hit a bullseye first shot and grouped close with next five shots. She is a breast cancer survivor and after 18 rounds had to quit. I ask her if she wanted me to buy a 22 for the next session. I received a quick NO. She is hooked! I also have a 48 year daughter who uses this same gun to shoot IDPA she also uses a Trurus PT 24/7 40 SW.

You do not do a woman any favor with low recoil guns. If she ever has to use it for protection she is out of luck. I also do not understand the recoil problems with new guns up thru 45ACP.

To finish I never let anyone soot my reloads. Not even my wife if I am mad at her. I will take the blunt of the mistake I may make.