9mm Makarov

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by obxned, Sep 8, 2009.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

Anybody have any information on penetration and expasion of FMJs and the few JHPs available in this caliber? I haven't been able to find any data on line.

I've shot S&B FMJs and Silver Bear JHPs, both of which function 100% and are very accurate from my CZ-82, but I've had no chance to do any penetration or expansion testing due to lack of time.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Re: (mm Makarov

The 9 Makarov (9.3 X 18) is or Soviet design. In compact pistols of Walther PP design, it falls about half way between the .380 ACP (9mm Kurz or Corto) and the 9 mm Luger (9x19) in ballistic energy on paper.

As to hollow-point expansion, that will depend on the brand of ammo, and will vary greatly. Several USA makers now load 9 Makarov hollow-point defensive ammo.

Of course, hollow point designs are not designed for deep penetration. In cold weather locations, a "Carhart" canvas coat over several underlying sweaters has been alleged to been pretty good body armor, on several occasions, involving police shootings. One might be well advised to alternate HP and FMJ in the magazine.