9mm Makarova ok for Taurus Pt92 9mm?/44 rem mag same for revolver and carbine use?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by beanpole, Dec 4, 2012.

1. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Is there a difference in useage between the 9mm Makarova Silver Bear cartridge and the Blazer CCI 9mm cartridges? I bought some items at a garage sale and there were two boxes of 9mm Makarova shells in it. I have a Taurus and wondered if they will work in it. Also I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. If I bought a Ruger 44 mag Carbine will they take the same ammo and are there large size magazines or drums to fit up to the carbine? Thank you for any advice and information. Bill
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Re: 9mm Makarova ok for Taurus Pt92 9mm?/44 rem mag same for revolver and carbine use

9mm Makarov is a different caliber than "regular 9mm", which is, almost certainly, 9mm Luger, also know as 9mm Parabellum and 9x19mm. A Taurus 92 is 9mm Luger. They won't work.

Ruger Super Blackhawk is chambered in 44 Magnum. It will work with 44 Magnum jacketed loads, 44 Magnum cast lead loads, 44 special loads and 44 Russian loads.

Ruger 44 mag Carbine could be one of four different guns. They used to make (30 years or so ago) a 44 Magnum semi-auto, called the Deerslayer. It has/had a 4-round tubular magazine. More recently they made (still make?) a bolt action, a lever action, and an automatic, all in 44 Magnum. These three guns all take a removable rotary magazine (like the 10/22). I believe it also holds four rounds, as many states limit centerfire semi-auto hunting rifles to five rounds total - one in the chamber, four in the magazine.

The bolt action and the lever action 44 carbines should work fine with all the same ammo as the Super Blackhawk. The two different automatics are only going to work with 44 Magnum (the special and the Russian will be too weak to work the action), and will work better with jacketed than with cast lead. Cast lead bullets and gas-actioned autoloaders normally do not get along well together.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Re: 9mm Makarova ok for Taurus Pt92 9mm?/44 rem mag same for revolver and carbine use

There is, as far as I know, no higher-capacity magazines for those guns. Four rounds is it.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Do not try the Makarov ammo in your Taurus, it could cause problems that you would not like!!

As far as the Ruger .44 carbine, Aplo covered it very well. Mine has a four round magazine but it is not tubular nor is it a removable rotary. It does appear to have a rotary magazine but it cannot be removed.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

for thread reasearch value.. might as well toss 9x17 in there with the 9x18 as well.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Here's the new 44 autoloader. 99/44.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_deerfield.htm
    Article says 4-round rotary.

Here's the magazine for sale.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/369/products_id/70463

So it would have to be removable.

Then we got the bolt 44.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7744/models.html

According to this top post, it also is a 4-round removable.
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?75077-Ruger-77-44

The lever, 96/44
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/lever_action.htm

About 2/3 down the page it mentions the Ruger.
    >A lever action centerfire rifle has been introduced by Sturm, Ruger & Company. This is their Model 96/44, chambered for the .44 Mag. revolver cartridge. With its chunky, one-piece "American hardwood" stock, complete with barrel band, it looks a great deal like their popular 10/22 autoloading rimfire rifle, or their discontinued .44 Mag. autoloading carbine. Like other Ruger carbines, it has a gently curved buttplate, 18.5" barrel, detachable rotary magazine, and streamlined hammerless action. Visually, the main addition is the husky, curved operating lever, snugged up against a rather shapeless pistol grip. It is clearly intended as a brush country deer rifle.<

Then we have the one I've got - the older one. The Deerslayer. 4-round tube.

[​IMG]
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Alpo, you are right, I just took mine out of the safe and inspected it, mine does indeed have a tubular magazine. My carbine does not say Deerslayer on it but it is one of the older tube magazine carbines. Sorry that I momentarily doubted you!
  8. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Gentlemen: Thank you very much for all your input, advice and websites to check out. I honestly appreciate it. Bill